Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 190 220kw Possible?

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
have been reading a lot of threads concerning this topic but none come out with a straight answer I was wondering what modifications I could do to to achieve 220kw's people are saying that this is easily achievable by just adding extractors a exhaust a intake and a tune don't really know about that to be sure if anybody could give me a answer that would be mint as just trying to get a little more oomph out of the ol VZ

Planing to get in the future to add just wanting to know the basics to get to a easy 220kw
  • CPR6 Manifold
  • Full Exhaust System
  • CAI (Cold Air Intake)
  • MACE Camshaft
  • Underdrive Pully
  • MACE Manifold Insulator Kit

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Why are you focusing on a number? Why not talk to a reputable tuning shop about how you want the car to drive/feel and work towards achieving that. A number on a dyno printout means jack IMO.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If you want more oomph, trade up to a modern car. You are asking a lot from an old car now and there is only so much it can give.
Direct all that money to a new ride.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
220kw at the engine maybe, not the wheels - might end up with like 170kw or something if you're lucky. Ditch the underdrive pulley too, you may run into aircon/waterpump/alternator issues using one on the street because of the slower belt speed. And as above, focus on the rev range and torque curve instead of numbers which you never see on the street. Or you could just buy a VE with an LFX that already has that kind of power or something.

Seriously though, for all the questions you've asked (aftermarket gearbox/LFX conversion/Interior stuff/ancient Alloytec upgrades - you've essentially asked about replacing the entire drivetrain) you'd be far better off buying some other car that's a better starting point from the get go that actually has proper aftermarket tuning and parts support, Commodore or not. It will be far cheaper that you pouring money into a VZ 5spd auto Alloytec - almost the worst Commodore: dead ECUs with supply shortages on replacements, dead gearboxes with few second hand options, little to no choice for tuning or support, some seem to have timing chain issues blah blah blah. There are just too many short comings and compromises in that car, it is literally a car you buy and don't do anything too while hoping it doesn't explode in the mean time.

Last edited:

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why are you focusing on a number? Why not talk to a reputable tuning shop about how you want the car to drive/feel and work towards achieving that. A number on a dyno printout means jack IMO.
220 would be nice until I get my full licence then LS it is

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you want more oomph, trade up to a modern car. You are asking a lot from an old car now and there is only so much it can give.
Direct all that money to a new ride.
well that's the most logical way of doing it but I've always loved the VZ Alloytecs I know that my car is 16 years old and that buying or trading a newer car would be the best way to do it but I just wanna do it to the car I have currently

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
220kw at the engine maybe, not the wheels - might end up with like 170kw or something if you're lucky. Ditch the underdrive pulley too, you may run into aircon/waterpump/alternator issues using one on the street because of the slower belt speed. And as above, focus on the rev range and torque curve instead of numbers which you never see on the street. Or you could just buy a VE with an LFX that already has that kind of power or something.

Seriously though, for all the questions you've asked (aftermarket gearbox/LFX conversion/Interior stuff/ancient Alloytec upgrades - you've essentially asked about replacing the entire drivetrain) you'd be far better off buying some other car that's a better starting point from the get go that actually has proper aftermarket tuning and parts support, Commodore or not. It will be far cheaper that you pouring money into a VZ 5spd auto Alloytec - almost the worst Commodore: dead ECUs with supply shortages on replacements, dead gearboxes with few second hand options, little to no choice for tuning or support, some seem to have timing chain issues blah blah blah. There are just too many short comings and compromises in that car, it is literally a car you buy and don't do anything too while hoping it doesn't explode in the mean time.
well hah I reap what I sow ay I know I. know its old not the most reliable and it may be stupid just to spend money on this but personally I love the VZs I know they have their faults but just wanna aim for 220 I know that that its not all rear wheel kw's

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
get some good suspension and brakes before you wrap it round a tree by going full mang.

trust me.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute