Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 200k service help

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Hey everyone,

Recently purchased an 04 sv6 vz commodore with 188,000kms. Have given it a quick service and will give it another before 200k but need help putting list together of things to do as there is no service history. I'm planning;
Trans filter and oil,
Engine oil and filter,
Engine coolant,
Air filter,
Fuel filter,
Diff oil,
Spark plugs,
Fan belts,
Air con will get a service between now and then.

What other things should I think of doing, thermostat? Water pump? Radiator cap? Timing chain? Ignition leads? What are the expected life's of these parts? I'm also going to check if it has a second trans cooler and replace/add either way. I will be also doing nylon bushes of some description in the next 6 months but this is more personal preference.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jawed

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 2 vx equipe v6
Don't worry about the timing chain and water pump but instead machine the disc brakes bleed the brake lines balance the front wheels and polish the paint by a professional that's all

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I think going by your list , that covers everything don't fret to much about the timing chain though if it was going to give problems it already would have

Marty_59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE V6 Commodore Omega ute
Hi nzv8farmer,
If I was you I would check all the hoses as well, top bottom, heater hoses.

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Hi nzv8farmer,
If I was you I would check all the hoses as well, top bottom, heater hoses.

Great, hadn't thought of that, cheers. I'm thinking I might do thermostat anyway. Got time to sort and price it all.

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
With regards to the cooling system, being a VZ with that many k's, its likely that the water pump has already been changed before since they are prone to leaking/spraying. To be sure tho, check the engine bay for any coolant sprays, (on my VZ at about 150k), there were obvious pink coolant spray marks on the airbox and the fuse box cover caused by leaked coolant (from the water pump and leaky water outlet seals) getting onto the serpentine belt and being sprayed all over the engine bay.

If you don't have any spray marks and the car runs well without overheating, there shouldn't be any need to replace the water pump, coz if it ain't broken, u shouldn't fix it :p

If it is leaking, take off the water pump pulley to get a better look, and see if the pump is leaking or if the leak is coming from above the pump, which is where the water outlet seals are.

You can check around the radiator cap for signs of leakage, its easy to see leaked coolant on the bottom of the engine cover around the cap, once again if its not leaking there's no need to change it until the seal wears out enough to cause it to leak.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Replace all the shocks if they are still originals.
Thermostat is a very ugly job, and could have been done already. If you decide to do it again then it would be a good time to do it while you have the manifold off and the coolant drained at service time.