Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 3.6litre ute oil preference??

JeremySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Commodore VS SS
So I’ve bought a vz 3.6l v6 ute, she’s done 165,000ks and I’m about ready to do an engine oil change. I’ve seen a few posts regarding brands etc and I was just wondoring what you all think of the nulon 10w40 hi-tech fast flowing oil? I’ve bought a fram cartridge filter (always used fram with my commodores) this is the latest model i’ve owned so would really appreciate your guys feedback on this!

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Go with a full synthetic 5w-30, a 40 weight is too thick for the alloytecs - Nulon do a full synthetic 5w-30 too

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
No worries, change the oil every 5000km religiously, as these engine are known to sludge badly and stretch timing chains if not maintained regularly :)

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
welcome to jc i have used 10,40 penrite full synthetic in the vz i had some left over from the bike i didn t want to wast it,
to general rule here is oil change at 7500kms or 9 months what ever comes first if you look in the service book holden intervals are 15000kms or 6months 5/30 ..10 /30 ..10/40 full synth nulon penrite mobile 1 castol shelix and any other brand you can think off and make shore the filter comes with the o ring

JeremySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Commodore VS SS
awesome! every bit helps bro, more so when you're new to the model haha. I know my 5litre commo inside and out, when it comes to this newer technology its best to play it by the books aye haha.

JeremySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Commodore VS SS
Oil change done! Piece of piss job. Watched a vid on YouTube of a bloke doing it step by step made it a breeze. Everything torqued up and service history set. Ended up going with penrite 5w30 full synthetic, cost abit but I only want the good stuff in there. Thanks so much for your guys advice and taking the time to help me. Awesome community!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Keep a lookout for oil specials at Supercheap and Repco, and stock up at a good price for next time.