Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz alloytech coolant

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
gday guys.
Iv put a deposit down on a 2005 vz commodore one tonner ute for work. The cars faultless with 140,000 kms full service history ext. When inspecting the car I checked the coolant from the big cap (which stated check from reservoir) and I could not see any coolant. I then checked it via the reservior and it as within the marks. Is this normal?
thanks

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No it should be visible at the cap.

A common fault with these is a failed cap that vents coolant to the reservoir but doesnt pull it back in as it should. Generally fixed by fitting a new cap.

Just make sure theres no coolant stains on the timing cover indicating a leaking water pump.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ok thanks mate. I'll be sure to check the timing cover for stains. are headgaskets something I should be worryed about with this engine?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No they should be fine.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
thanks mate iv filled it right up and gotten a new cap will see how it goes thanks for your help

chrispy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 6sp Manual VZ ute
thanks mate iv filled it right up and gotten a new cap will see how it goes thanks for your help

hey simon, did the new cap help.

i am having the same sort of problem, but mine is using water in the the resivour and the big cap bit.

phillsau

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz sv6
i had the same issue last week it was the cap and water pump

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Check the top hose too, the original spring clamps can leak

chrispy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 6sp Manual VZ ute
ok, an update, my uv pen has finnally arrived, had a look in the daRk to make the coolant stand out more, and couldnt see any sign of a leak. am going to take it a mechanic soona nd see if they can find it

PHaSR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LUMINA
I'm just about to replace the radiator in my VZ Lumina after 2 years ownership from 96K KMS to 165K km.

it has always had some sort of leak since purchase(commodores seem to always have some sort of leak happening, I have had new water pump, new hot water and seals/valve, I have had 4 overheats(not bad ones), always checked fluids religiously(it has always had a small leak somewhere and I think we have finally found it, unfortunately) and had pressure tests every service/and at every checkup after an overheat.
This time the leak is a terminal one from the side of the radiator, apart from this one niggling issue it has been a great car, but now I dont think I will buy another commodore again. which is sad,cos I do really love my VZ, its shape/style and sometimes reliability.
I hope its not a bad problem, and I hope it doesnt go like mine did for you, but if you have several things fixed and yet still have water dissappearing then its time to open the left hand side and just check for a trickle along the side of the radiator where the plastic meets the metal.