Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Auto Transmission Fix

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
Hi Guys,

Ive been searching around the internet for 6 months now trying to find a fix to the common problem of the auto boxes in the commodores (and various other american models). The problem is the harsh gear changes. There are so many different threads on various websites but no-one has ever posted a fix for it , only possibles. I'm asking if anyone has actually found a fix (had yours repaired or did a fix on a mates car), i have had it rebuilt already and that was ok for 2 weeks. So once again anybody had it repaired? there have been 100's of threads on this website alone!

Moey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009, VE SV6 2010
I'd read a while ago somewhere, that it was put down to a dirty sensor in the gearbox (on the flywheel or somewhere around there). I've owned a VT and two VZ's, neither of them had the harsh gear changes.

I know what you mean though, I did drive some else's VT a long time ago - and the gearbox changes were rough.

Last edited:

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
Mine changes from 1st to 2nd pretty hard, But I like that :) Only does it when its cold though... I wanted to put a corvette servo into my VZ.

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
Hi Guys, The problem is the harsh gear changes.

Does it log a fault code at all?
My VS suffers harsh 1st to 2nd changes as well as reverse and 1st when going from park to drive/reverse. Changes to 3 and 4 are very smooth.
There is a fault code logged which I believe says a solenoid fault in the transmission.

VZ may be very different though.

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
no i doesnt have any codes according to holden. I have also replaced the 1-2 solenoid with no change. im thinking maybe the throttle position sensor. I have also heard that tweaking the computer can make a difference? anyone fixed it?

cavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
Yeah, I had solenoids and pressure switch replaced in mine but what finally solved the problem was getting the computer settings altered. It's not 100% but a hell of a lot better.

Last edited:

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
how much was it to get the computer tweaked? Does anyone know the name of that sensor that is apparently near the flywheel?

cavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
They did it when they replaced the pressure switch so it was included in the labour which was 1.5hrs at your standard mechanics rates.
They had to change the computer settings to match the new pressure switch.
Don't ask me what the pressure switch does, I know nothing about autos.

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
so guys, anyone else got any idea?