Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Binnicle gauges into a VY does it work??

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hi Eddie, i just brought a VY Series 2 SS ute... and ill be installing the genuine vz gauges over the next few weeks.
i have done a lot of reading on this site and found only one guy who "supposedly" did it, but he never came up with any information, so i call bullshit.

the volt meter is easy, just hooks straight up, but the standard oil switch in the vy is only a binary switch (either pressure, or non) where as the vz has an analog sender which talks to the ecu/bcm. the bcm then passes on a message via GMLAN (SWCAN) to the genuine binnacle gauges.

i plan on making an electronic adapter module to convert the an analog pressure switch signal into the required signal the genuine vz gauge needs to work.

if this is successful, ill be selling the adapter for as cheap as possible for everyone to enjoy.

you will still need to add a second oil pressure sender to your car. as per the aftermarket gauges.

RayNixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
would just like to clear up some mis information i wrote.

The VZ binnacle gauges to not run off Can-Bus as i previously said. they indeed run off the secondary serial bus as Trayner mentioned above..

I am in the process now of reverse engineering the VZ serial bus to find the data needed to pump back into the VZ gauges when fitted to a VY.

hopefully in the next week or two i will have this working.

AUSPD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Maloo
Hey mate were u successful with the converter adpator for the gauges?
Thx
Hi Eddie, i just brought a VY Series 2 SS ute... and ill be installing the genuine vz gauges over the next few weeks.
i have done a lot of reading on this site and found only one guy who "supposedly" did it, but he never came up with any information, so i call bullshit.

the volt meter is easy, just hooks straight up, but the standard oil switch in the vy is only a binary switch (either pressure, or non) where as the vz has an analog sender which talks to the ecu/bcm. the bcm then passes on a message via GMLAN (SWCAN) to the genuine binnacle gauges.

i plan on making an electronic adapter module to convert the an analog pressure switch signal into the required signal the genuine vz gauge needs to work.

if this is successful, ill be selling the adapter for as cheap as possible for everyone to enjoy.

you will still need to add a second oil pressure sender to your car. as per the aftermarket gauges.
mate