Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais auto surge

convert

Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Hi everyone

lately the auto (5L40E) in the calais V6 3.6, 170,000 has been surging at 80kph, the RPM flares from aprox 1500 - 1800 quite quickly when going into Torque Converter Clutch Lock, making the car surge, not terribly but if you take your VZ for a drive and pulse the throttle slightly twice a second at that speed you'll know what i mean.

It does it every time I get to 80 up a very slight hill or accelerating slowly from 80 to 90 and the trans tries to lock the converter.

over 100kph its fine and i can actually accelerate quite quickly (Joke in a 3.6) without the trans kicking out of TCCL so to me that indicates the clutch lining is ok and not slipping as i can put a reasonable ammount of torque through it without any flaring or surging.

went to an auto tranny place and they quoted $950 to replace the TCC solenoid and a service and said that may not fix it but its a start, WTF haha dont think so......

went to Hxxxxx and the guy wasn't terribly interested in my problem or possible fixes and said a scan was the only possible way to check the fault at $140 for a scan, now i lived on scan tools for a few years and NEVER gave a customer a $140 bill for a scan, even for more than one ecu scan, actually not hard to do a scan and report

here in lies my problem, Im a mechanic by trade but now not working in a workshop with the usual mechanic/workshop privileges, and being a typical mechanic i just cannot part with cash for a job i can fix myself (if i knew the fix haha)

This is first VZ ive owned, I am thinking of just disconnecting the TCC solenoid wiring.

Other than that the trans shifts smooth and consistently.

So everyone, give me your ideas, hints, previous experiences and tips to try.

Sorry for the long read people

Gazza.

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
Hey Gazza,

I'm in the same boat as you as far as not letting other people touch my car, however i have found anything to do with late model transmissions beyond my capabilities. I recently parted with money to have my trans serviced at "Automatic Transmissions R Us" in Balcatta. they were really good and serviced the trans quickly and were what i think a reasonable price ($250 compared to $490 at holden). maybe give them a call and pick their brains.

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
My 06 SS will do the same thing on a slight hill at about 80 KPH , I get the feeling that the torque converter is in two minds to lock or unlock ,otherwise the trans is working fine,don't know why?

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Hi everyone

here in lies my problem, Im a mechanic by trade but now not working in a workshop with the usual mechanic/workshop privileges, and being a typical mechanic i just cannot part with cash for a job i can fix myself (if i knew the fix haha)

Replace the TCC solenoid and do a service yourself. Pretty easy to do.

bradmax2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
SX6 2005 Vz Adventra
Sx6 adventra doing this too....

Sx6 adventra doing this too....nvert;2251401]Hi everyone

Replace the TCC solenoid and do a service yourself. Pretty easy to do.[/QUOTE]

any known solutions? is it the tcc solenoid? Has anyone got a solution?

Brad.