Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ cam phasers

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soarer 1jzgtt VH commodore VZ svz
Hi Guy's

Can the CAM phasers on the alloytec be changed without removing the front engine cover. Just out through the top of the motor?

Ignoble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi Guy's

Can the CAM phasers on the alloytec be changed without removing the front engine cover. Just out through the top of the motor?
Exhaust can definitely be done.
First fit Mace engineering timing tool to back of camshafts. Then tap large screwdriver down between the chain and the slipper and secure it tightly to the right. Keep it to the rear or you won't have room to remove the phaser. This will give you the necessary slack to get phaser out. I drove a chisel against the intake phaser just to ensure no possibility of chain moving.
IMG_20211002_173708.jpg
IMG_20211002_173630.jpg
IMG_20211002_173708.jpg
IMG_20211002_173630.jpg

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Exhaust can definitely be done.
First fit Mace engineering timing tool to back of camshafts. Then tap large screwdriver down between the chain and the slipper and secure it tightly to the right. Keep it to the rear or you won't have room to remove the phaser. This will give you the necessary slack to get phaser out. I drove a chisel against the intake phaser just to ensure no possibility of chain moving.
View attachment 227613View attachment 227614View attachment 227613View attachment 227614

I like your style.
I just recommend doing the phasers with the chains, but no one does.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi Guy's

They simply slide out. On LE0 motors there’s two and two cam sensors. On LY7 there are 4 which easily slide out. All held in with one 10mm bolt. They can be cleaned. New seals are available. No oil will come out other than a few drips. Takes a few minutes.

Wait. The right bank needs the ECM plate moved. 7mm bolt holds the earth and 8mm holds the ECM plate in. Disconnect the negative terminal first and switch the headlights on or ignition on for a few minutes then off. Just to drain any capacitors.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I clean the cam sensors as well. Some throttle body cleaner on a paper towel does the job.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
can this thread be added to the howtos section