Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Clubsport front bar respray advice

mark_1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Clubsport
Over the past week i've been getting quotes on getting the front bar of my black VZ Clubsport resprayed. The bar has pretty bad stone chips all over it, a few scratches and a few stress fractures in what i'm hoping is only the paint. It quite obviously been resprayed at some point too by what i can only assume was a mobile resprayer purely for resale of the car when i bought it.

Quotes have ranged from $300 to $685 which most have said it'll need to be sanded right back and reprayed etc which sounds reasonable, but then today i got another quote and the guy said i'll need to glass/plastic bead blasted to get all the paint off. He said sanding would take too long, and even went as far as to say to just buy a brand new front bar (Not an option by the way). He reckons it would cost $600 purely for painting and no prep work.

This is the only guy who has said this, and seemed to imply sanding around the sharper curves of the bar can't be done or would take 2 days by hand. Can any spray painters in here give me their honest opinion? Most quotes have been in the middle around the $450 mark to sand it all back and spray it. I know it's not in the best shape, but i really didn't think it would be as bad as "need a new front bar" as he put it.

Photos for reference, tried to show as much as possible. I'm not going for show car quality, just back to stock and something that's not going to deteriorate again quickly.

Cheers,

Mark

Stone chips

Stress fractures

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
600 for painting and no prep work means go away i dont want to deal with it....

600 to sand it all prime and paint isnt unreasonable. takes a bit of time to get it right. probably a whole days work start to finish.

mark_1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Clubsport
Hey, thanks. Yeah it didn't seem like he was too interested in taking on the job, especially when he started rambling on about headlights from a SSZ :hmmm:

I'm just going to bite the bullet and take it somewhere where i've been quoted a reasonable price and hope they do a good job and take pride in their work. There isn't a lot of information about most places besides word of mouth. I was tempted to try doing the prep work myself but decided against it in fear of them ending up charging me more to fix what i might have stuffed up! Either way it should end up looking better than how it is at the moment once it's done.

Cheers.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Don't cheap out on it, go somewhere based on reputation and just pay the bucks for a good job.

Do it once, do it right.

mark_1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Clubsport
Yeah i want a good job, but in terms of reputation, it's really hard to find a place that i've heard more than just one good thing about. There isn't really a stand out place at the moment, hopefully something pops up soon.