Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Commodore 4Spd Auto Thud Sound

extremeaudiowa

Reaction score
Gday Everyonem

Just a quick one.. Ive recently purchased a 2nd Hand VZ 2005 model with the 3.6L alloytec and 4SPd Auto. I have noticed when shifting from 1st to second the gear makes like a Deep Thud sound... It is only minorly noticable my wife cant hear it but i can.

Is this normal and part of the gearboxes standard vices as such?

Should i get it checked under new car warranty??

And could it be anything else... Maybe diff??? Axels????

Cheers

extremeaudiowa

Reaction score
Well not sure... it is just a thud.. kind of like when you run over the eyes on the road....

And uni joints havent been done the car only got 50K on the clock and still under new car warranty

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
take it to holden, not really point in comming on here and saying you have a thud buddy, it not real specific,

if it only makes a noise between gear 1-2 looks like theres a fault with the transmission,

another check you could make is to,
1. have the fan radio etc turned off, windows down and place yourself in a really quiet non echoing area,
2. start the engine up
3. foot on the brake, really firmly
4, put her in reverse and listen for noise,
5, with the foot still on the pedal, very quicky shift the lever from reverse to drive, listen for any noises
6, repeat step 5, but go from drive to reverse again

with steps 5 and 6, change gears just after you feel them engage

if you cant hear any other noise from the final driveline than it sounds like you have a internal fault with your transmission, than take it to holden

Last edited:

p3dsp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Yea iv noticed this thud noise in my sv8 and a few of my mates commos. It seems to be very easily heard in the back seat. Iv been told its called "diff slap"... Apparently as the gear teeth and bearings wear in a slight gap is formed and when the power is transfered between gear changes this gap closes creating a dull noise.

Or you could have a flat spot on your diff in which case I would tell your wife to stop doing burn outs lol

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
ive started hearin this thud in my car, exec alloytec 3.6L. car has done 137000kms and i havent done any work on the gearbox. what should i do?

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
does anyone out here know what the fix is? i read somewhere that its really bad too be hearing this so any help is appreciated so i can rectify the problem

cavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
I have been told by my mechanic that the thud sound between shifts is highly likely to be from one of the shift solenoids in the trans. Apparently they are easy to replace but best done with a trans service. I have the same thud sound and will be getting the trans serviced and solenoids changed soon. If that doesn't fix the problem then it is terminal. I will add to this thread with the outcome when I get it done.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
can be a shift solenoid for sure. pretty common on auto's as they get older.

commodores do thump generally tho when going from park to reverse etc when it's cold. some thumps are just bad tranny tuning settings.

If it thumps every gear, it's an electrical fault of some sort.