Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec/4 speed auto into V6 VZ Calais

Oranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.7
G’day there,

First time posting but have appreciated the info when needing help.

I recently removed the alloytec motor and 4 speed auto from a 2005 VZ Lumina and installed it into a 2005 VZ Calais roller I picked up. Complete car minus engine and trans. I swapped over the BCM, PIM, ECU, trans module and key fob. Started up first try and runs nicely and reliably.

I have run into a couple of issues however with the ESP function failing. Doing some research on here that seems to relate to the original 5 speed.

Question 1 - Can it be disabled or removed as I will be running the 4 speed?

The other issue I’m having is there are no brake lights operating. The park lights operate when the brake pedal switch operates. The front park lights, instrument cluster and climate control illuminate. The rear park lights and number plate dimly glow and if I switch on park lights via headlight switch the rear dimly lit lights go out. I can’t find any reason for this or see where there could be a crossover.

Question 2 - I’m leaning towards BCM but never noticed any of these issues on the donor car but it had been in a front end collision. Is there anything you guys’n’girls could suggest that may cause this other than the BCM?

Much appreciated and sorry for the long message lol wanted to get all the details down to get better advice.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Most of those are switched and operated differently in the Calais.

Different looms. You have successfully opened a can of worms.

I’m astounded you have anything working without swapping the harnesses as well.

Oranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.7
Merry Christmas to you too, Fu Manchu lol.

Everything else actually functions correctly, just those things mentioned are the only issues. Power windows all work, boot release works via remote/glove box button, central locking works, horn works, headlights work, climate control works, power button works, indicators work front/rear and courtesy lighting works.

Can of worms I can deal with. Might have to get a bit old school with it if a BCM or BCM replacement isn’t going to fix the problems. I have a tech 2 scanner, so cleared any fault codes and recalibrated the instrument cluster to solve the transmission mismatch. There was a section for the ESP/TC but it wasn’t able to communicate so that’s as far as I could delve into that. I was hoping I could switch it on or off through that.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the mid and lux bcm have a few wires in different spots
and lux has more outputs

Oranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.7
Thanks for that info, lout. I was wondering about that. So I could switch some wires around to get the result I’m looking for? Would you or anyone else have wiring diagrams for the different BCM’s?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
holden does not make their diagrams that easy
here is a link to download all VT=VZ genuine manuals

Oranger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.7
Thanks for that lout. Some very handy information there and can now see where the differences are in regards to pin outs. Looking forward to getting home and sorting this out. Much appreciated mate.