Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz crewman v6 fuel economy

Mathew Cuthbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman v6
Hi guys was wondering what you guys recommend to try get better fuel economy in my crewman “v6” average 10/100 on the highway and
around town sometimes can be 17/100.
Have cleaned air intake and done injector clean and replaced exhaust sensors. But not change.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Just do your basic service stuff....
Change the engine oil & oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter.
When was the last time any of these were replaced ?
Also give the Throttle Body and Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) a clean

You have to also remember that the Crewman isn't exactly a lightweight vehicle either
A V6 Crewman weighs 1,755 kilos, compared to a regular V6 ute that weighs 1,549 kilos
A 200 kilo difference might not seem like a lot, but you are basically carting around 2 or 3 extra passengers all the time.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
17l/100 round town …. a leadfoot, or spend a lot of time looking at red traffic lights and tail lights.
10l/100 highway …….. pretty damn good.
I just did a 3,500km outback trip, 9.8l/100 ( actual consumption, trip computer showed 9.2l/100 ) at avg speed of 78kmh, and that is consistent with all my non ‘city’ trips during the past 5 years.
Pre trip preparation is oil change, clean or replace air filter and tyres at 38psi. Not skiting, just real happy how good the Crewman is.

Mathew Cuthbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman v6
17l/100 round town …. a leadfoot, or spend a lot of time looking at red traffic lights and tail lights.
10l/100 highway …….. pretty damn good.
I just did a 3,500km outback trip, 9.8l/100 ( actual consumption, trip computer showed 9.2l/100 ) at avg speed of 78kmh, and that is consistent with all my non ‘city’ trips during the past 5 years.
Pre trip preparation is oil change, clean or replace air filter and tyres at 38psi. Not skiting, just real happy how good the Crewman is.
Defiantly not a lead foot haha them years are well behind me. Have done all of the above and been monitoring revs over last two tanks trying to keep a low a possible without being a pest.

Thanks guys

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I should have mentioned the type of fuel used can be a factor.
When I started the last trip with BP 98, I was getting (trip computer) low 9s, but as I got north of Bourke and into Qld, I had little choice, either Puma ethanol or 95. Consumption went to a high of 10.1.
East of Dalby, I was able to start using BP 98 again, and the consumption dropped back to 9.2 over the next 900km.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Tyres at 41psi as per the owners manual,get a wheel alignment so tyres are not dragging sideways. do not forget that the rear tyres also need to be in alignment, same reason. Look well ahead so you do not have to come to a screetching halt at every set of traffic lights. This will place you well to leave said lights without stopping plus saves wear and tear on brake pads and tyres. Look after your car and it will look after you.