Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Equipe '05. Picture Heavy!

VZequipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Equipe
VZ Equipe '05. Lowered and in progress.

Name: Jack
Model: 2005 Holden Commodore (VZ) Equipe
Style: Sedan
Km: 200,000
Colour: Barbados Blue
Engine Type: Alloytec (3.6L)
Power: 175kW
Exhaust: Standard
Brakes: Standard
Gearbox: Auto

TOTAL SPENT: $1081.42

So just a bit of writing before the mods list; there will be more after as well! I have a few questions I hope some of you guys on here can tell me more about.

This car has been in my family since new, and seeing as I have just got my P’s I have basically inherited it. Its always been cleaned regularly, never thrashed about and always serviced on time. There are a few minor things to fix (There is a list below) but overall it is in quite immaculate condition for its age. There has never been any money put into this car in the “modification” sense, so it is completely stock with original everything. Good start for me eh? Anyway, I'm on my P Plates (in QLD) so this entails:
- No more than 200kW
- No V8’s
- No Major engine modifications

Due to the above restrictions I'm NOT doing anything engine wise (No cam’s or anything of the sort) to increase output and power for a few reasons:
- No point as 175kW is so close to 200kW already. No point for just 25kW difference.
- For the kind of money of engine mods I would rather save for the Future Plans.
- P Plates last for 3 years (until October of 2013 for me – I think.)
- May not be keeping this car after I get onto my Opens Licence.

Now, because of the above statements I have decided that I will be spending most time and money on the handling and comfort as well as aesthetics of the car. I want to create, while restricted engine wise, a clean and good looking commodore while having an enjoyable and pleasant ride. Thus if my Future Plans do come into action I will have a proper set up base skeleton to start with.

Anyway! Enough talk for now, more down the bottom! Mods time:

KEY:
[D] = Done
[IP] = In Progress
[N] = Not Started

Exterior:
[D] LED Number Plate Light
[D] Chrome Garnish
[D] SL’s Front
[D] SSL’s Rear
[N] 19’ Zest Icon’s (5Hx120 19x8.5) (Hyper Black/Machine Faced)
[N] Tyres: 245/35R19
[N] Wheel Nuts (12mm x 1.5mm) (Rota Spline’s)
[D] De-badge
[N] Paint Callipers – Red
[N] WK/WL Statesman Indicators
[N] Sunroof
[N] Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers (Upgrade in a year/when funds allow)

Interior:
[D] LED Boot Lighting
[IP] Paint Interior Plastics (matt Black)
[IP] Black Power Windows Switch
[D] HSV Floor mats
[N] HSV Steering wheel
[N] HSV/SS Pedals
[N] Calais boot carpet
[N] Navman – In front of shifter, below radio
[N] New lower centre console compartment

Audio and entertainment:
[D] Sony Xplod Headunit (CDX-GT600UI)
[D] Sony Xplod 6.5 Fronts (XSGTF1627)
[D] Sony Xplod 6x9 Rears (XSGTF6937)
[D] Sony Xplod 600W 4 Channel Amp (XMGTX6040)
[D] Sony XPlod 1000W 12 inch Sub in box (XSGTF120L)

Engine Bay:
[D] New Battery
[N] New Antenna
[D] Paint Engine Covers

Ok so now that is a list of what I'm going to or already done. Next up is the fun bit, the dreams.

Now this may seem far-fetched, but hear me out. I have always wanted to build my own car. And I don’t mean just this modification business but I mean full-blown build of my own. So I have always wanted a wagon, I was looking at an old Cressida wagon but they are very rare and hard to find, also not much power.

I was thinking this; Grab a new/good condition VZ rolling wagon shell from somewhere, the whole deal sunroof and leather trimming. Obviously stock standard everything else no drive (i.e. no engine gearbox etc.) so that I would add them myself. Some of the features I'm thinking include (But certainly not limited to):

Future Plans:
- LS1 (LS3 funds providing) engine swap
- OTR CAI
- Possible Respray
- Upgrade Exhaust
- Cam
- HSV Leather Interior
- Twin Turbo
- Strut Brace
- New Dash – Phreddied.
- HSV Diff
- Big Brake Upgrade
- Manual (6 Speed)
- By then I will want new rims/tyres; unless I have super sports, which will stay.

So I do have a few questions about these plans now and will probably have more to come. A list is easiest I would say:

- What are everyone’s opinions on LS3’s? I was leaning towards a LS1 however may as well go all out.
- What kind of price range are brand new crate LS3’s going for these days?
- Anyone ever twin turbo’d one on here?
- Should I change the colour?

Pictures:
The camera used for all of these, if anyone’s interested, is a Canon EOS 550D with 15 – 88mm lens.

Anyway. Just for extra information, possibly talking points? I’m undecided about what to do once on opens. Its either the Future Plans to this Equipe/Wagon or a whole new car. I'm thinking either:

HJ60 Landcruiser:
- 12HT Reconditioned fully.
- Old man emu suspension
- Spring over axle conversion

OR

Datsun 240Z
- Recondition Engine
- Turbocharged
- Lowered to the ground; Coilovers
- Watanabes

OR

Nissan 300ZX
- TE37’s
- Lowered to the ground; Coilovers
- Twin Turbo

I hope to update this thread regularly with what I do and what I spend, hopefully others like this and what not.

Leave comments! I like to hear what others think about my car, I really don’t know what’s around to buy and put on so I'm open to all information.

Also just thought I would throw in all tutorials and what-not I found along the way of building that I found useful, might help someone else?

- AUX Hardwire (GTO Hard Wire Tutorial)

- DIY Two-Hole Mod (http://swingtan.customer.netspace.net.au/2hole.html)

- DIY Painting with rollers (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/diy-painting-your-car-rollers.76882)

- DIY Splicing LED strips to parkers (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/splice-led-light-strips-your-fog-light-wires.144647)

- Removing door trims (VY/VZ) (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/removing-vy-vz-door-trim.70606)

- How to remove VY/VZ Dash and centre console (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-remove-dash-center-console-vy-vz-2.60145)

- WK/WL side indicators onto VZ (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/wk-wl-statesman-indicators-vy-vz.118308)

- De-badging (https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/debadge-your-car-10-minutes-warning-dial-up-users.64638)

- Dual battery system (Carliving.info - Free information about living in cars, vans and campervans.)

Don’t forget to like/rate/add your opinions thoughts blah blah all that jazz.

Right, pictures. the good part! :)

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

Sorry about this lot being dark! It's was nearly completely dark, so i shot some just to give everyone a look :) Also! its got no cut and polish on it at the moment, i ran out of time this afternoon :'(

Last edited:

VZequipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Equipe
Sorry to mods for the double post! My bad.

Updates: King Springs (Super Low in the front, Ultra Low in the back) have arrived. they should be going in within the next week though im thinking about geting the guards rolled first before I lower it, might save me some headache later?

I am also after black plastic interior parts and stereo (like dash and 'mode' and the light switches) to change out the silver parts in mine, If you have any for sale a PM would be really appreciated!

VZequipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Equipe
Just wondering if anyone knows, what type of paint should i be using for the engine covers and break calipers? Also I'm thinking about giving the dash a painting attempt.... any specific type of paint i should be using on that?

sexyvz

Sexy VZ in the making.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
i used 3M engine paint and and then some clear coat and 3M calliper paint seem to work alright. just remember to prep the engine covers first so the paint sticks. i got pics of mine i did check em out if u want.

VZequipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Equipe
Update; Got a heap of audio gear today, new headunit, 6.5' for the front, some speakers for the rear, and a 4 channel amp. All are sony X-Plod stuff, but i got it all at a great price so no complaining from me! :) Will get pictures and part numbers up tomorrow/weekend when its installed hopefully.

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
definantly dont get the 300zx, my mate has one, and his whole car club complain about how hard they are to work on
and not too reliable

i'd sell the equipe and get a ss
or get a 200sx s14

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
just wait, i would rather a v8 over a 4/6 turbo any day of the week unless its a xr6 turbo, they hammer, its worth saving an buying a ss, i sold my VZ ute an bought a VX SS off my mum, so its 3 years older then my vz, but the engine was the same as a vz an the vx was alot cheaper, in a few years time you could get a nice ve ss an not pay over 20k