Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Exec Fuel Type..

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
There has been many lab quality driving tests with different fuel. 98ron has been undoubtly proven to be cheaper per km on modern cars.

Phillshz

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
There has been many lab quality driving tests with different fuel. 98ron has been undoubtly proven to be cheaper per km on modern cars.

I did see a test on today tonight not long ago that agrees with your comment,but then after watching that i decided to do a google to double check it as i`m always sceptical about those shows (they seem to be just glorified advertisments or picking on the dodgy trade/business of the week) and found a NRMA article about the same thing,it was back in 1996 though and it basically said what i found out during my own testing and said to stick to standard unless your motor requires it. So go figure. I can`t find it now but this is a close cousin to it Filling up? Don't pay for premium - www.drive.com.au

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I did see a test on today tonight not long ago that agrees with your comment,but then after watching that i decided to do a google to double check it as i`m always sceptical about those shows (they seem to be just glorified advertisments or picking on the dodgy trade/business of the week) and found a NRMA article about the same thing,it was back in 1996 though and it basically said what i found out during my own testing and said to stick to standard unless your motor requires it. So go figure. I can`t find it now but this is a close cousin to it Filling up? Don't pay for premium - www.drive.com.au

15 years is a long time in engine and fuel development.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
98 wont hurt a standard engine and its supposed to have cleaners in it so thats a plus. Performance wont come into it unless the car is tuned for 98 ron to take advantage of the higher octane. As for consumption the only real way is to run a few tanks of one and note the figures then run a few tanks of the other and compare.

Phillshz

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
15 years is a long time in engine and fuel development.

Very true. Engines and management for sure. Standard 91,95,98 fuel prob not much,shell was mucking around with their fuels adding things to them though.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
All cars are different. Some I've had run no differently on 91 from a dodgey independent station to 98 from Mobil or BP. Then one VR I had got amazing economy out of Mobil 95 octane. But if I tried 98 octane or 95 from a different station the economy dropped off.

My current car needs mobil or BP 98 all the time or it runs crap. Even shell high octane runs like balls. I think every car is different so find out what works best for your beast and stick with it

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
For non-performanc engines it's good to run a tank or two of premium every once in a while because premium cleans the engine.

Probably wouldn't bother with a 98RON though,a bit overkill for your application.

Just run some 95RON through one once in a while and your engine will be that little bit cleaner.

jd hot stuff

355 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL 355 stroker, VZ V6
For the past 2 years or more, Ive ran my VZ Alloytec on 98octane. For the past 2 months Ive avg 9.7L to 9.8L per 100km weekely, driving every where. Its rare to see my avg go past anymore then 10.4L per 100km. When ever i try 95 octane, my car seams to smell warm and avg drops of a little bit.

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
i only ever run 95 in my ute an its about 11L/100kms

OCO0012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VZ Berlina 2006
I have been documenting my fuel usage with 91 and 98 for over two years now.
With 91 I get an average of 11.93L per 100km
I have not used 95
with 98 I get an average of 9.74L per 100km
For my VZ Berlina it works out that I save about $1.10 per 100km using 98
Also the car idles better and runs better