Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ - First time to pull one down for plugs

Deanotune

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Hi guys. In a previous life I was a mechanic (1970's) and built several hot rods and performance engines. But once they started started putting computers and sensors and crap on motors I lost interest and moved onto other things.

I have not hung off a spanner for over 30 years but my VZ v6 (277km on the clock) has started leaking oil (and I mean pouring) from the back of the passengers side that is pouring down the bell housing. I am gathering its the rocker cover gasket so I have ordered new gaskets and I got plugs and plenum gaskets too.

So before I blow the dust off the tool box I just want to ask if there is anything special I should watch for when doing this. Any crappy sensors or electronic jiggery I should take care of ?

What is the tension to retighten the plenum bolts too?

Thanks for reading and for any replies

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
In consideration of your comments, I suggest you drop into an Auto Parts Store and purchase a Workshop Manual. All the setting s etc contained therein. Good luck

Deanotune

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
In consideration of your comments, I suggest you drop into an Auto Parts Store and purchase a Workshop Manual. All the setting s etc contained therein. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Since its 140km round trip to the nearest store - thats not an option which is why I asked here first

Thanks anyway

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Hmmmm

Thanks for the reply. Since its 140km round trip to the nearest store - thats not an option which is why I asked here first

Thanks anyway

Video is on plug change ...

But the manifold must come off ...
And then you have a load of stuff mounted on the rocker cover ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Being a mechanic, your ability doesn't change. Just because you haven't done something before shouldn't mean you can't do it. When the VE came out and I had to do an exhaust on one, I didn't need to ask how it was done, I looked at it and just did it. When you're a mechanic, you always know how to mechanic. There's always a process. You unbolt things to get at other things. Then when those things are replaced, you bolt the other things back on.