Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ footwell lighting

vzaccaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz acclaim
ok found the orange and black.... its a single cable does it contain negative and positive? or is there another one?

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Meaning orange with a black tracer (single wire). Which is positive.

So long as the neg is connected to BCM terminal above, the footwell lighting will act with the interior lights.

vzaccaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz acclaim
assuming the BCM is the white block where all the wires meet? do i need to connect the positive before or after the BCM? because when i check the orange with black trace the light in my tester stays on even when the interior lights turn off?

sorry man really new to all this

ok so tryed it before the BCM an the test light stays on no matter what happens with the interior lights?

im starting to wander if it is actually orange with a black trace?

Last edited:

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
The positive (OB) is connected to the illumination relay. The BCM will turn this relay off after 1 hour (conditions) to prevent battery drain. This also happens with the ACC relay. This is why it is on when you test. The BCM switches the neg (WG) during normal operation.

You may ask why does the BCM needs to control both positive and negative wires? This is because if the interior lighting is switched on manually this bypasses the neg wire on the BCM. The only way the BCM can then switch off the interior lights if they were inadvertantly left on is to switch off the illumination relay (positive).

Last edited:

vzaccaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz acclaim
so even if i turn the interior lights off at the switch the tester will stay on?

vzaccaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz acclaim
does that not mean that the lights ill stay on even after say i lock the care where as the interior lights switch off when it locks if there on auto?

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
If you connect to the wires I have suggested, the new lights should behave exactly like the rest of the interior lights.

Leave a window down. Close the doors. Come back about a hour later. Try to switch on the interior light manually through the open window. They will not work- illumination relay off. No power to your meter, should you whish to crawl inside like Spiderman and connect it.

vzaccaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz acclaim
well i must have done something wrong ahahaha.... i hooked the positive up to the orange with black trace then put the negative in with the top of the bcm lights come on all good but dont turn off...

from what i gathered early they would turn off soon as there would be no power but what i am trying to do is to get the footwell light functioning on the exact same circuit as the interior lights.... open the doors the foot well lights come on, shut the doors and start the engine the footwell lights go off if you follow

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
The only thing I can think of is if you have a higher level BCM. Which is wired differently.