Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

Shortsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Pack Ute
Kilmo, ive just had 15,000 and brake recall done also. mentioned fuel gauge problem and have had MRA replaced. After booking in, i discovered this thread and the ongoing saga.
Suffice to say the "repairs" didnt work.
Does anyone participating in this thread know of a difinative fix for the fuel gauge problem? If so.......what is it? Like so many posters before me, i dont have the time to drop it in repeatedly while the "appease the customer" approach is applied in lieu of a real solution!

destorman

De'Storman
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 SV6 Manual (Impulse Blue)
An honest response ?

OK, had my SV6 in for the 3000km service today and I 'reported' the fuel gauge issue, albeit I did it as "I think there is a problem with the computer as the low fuel warning comes on way early 1/3 tank left and the very low warning at which point I can only get 62-63 litres in ..."

Response was 'there has been for sometime a problem with the fuel tank, expecially in the ute's (comment was they can only get about 50 litres of fuel in them), due to its design, there is 15 litres 'unuseable' ... I questioned why and apparently the tank has a ridge through the middle with a tube linking what becomes the 2 lower halves of the tank, which means there is about 15 litres unuseable (they also mentioned the fuel pump and hoses also take up capacity) ... and the computer is set to trigger a fill so as to not run out of petrol (due to the hose linkage between the 2 lower halves). It is a design issue with the fuel tank, and there have been computer patches but none make any difference really as the issue is the design of the fuel tank.

I took my car to Caloundra City Holden, Caloundra Road, Caloundra (Sunshine Coast) Queensland ... maybe anyone having problems could refer their dealership to them !!

Also, fyi, the guys behind the service counter had a list of 'known issues' for the fuel tank / fuel gauge for various models with notes / fixes and comments ... it looked like a Holden warranty / repair document. It was typed, a table style, printed landscape and had numerous pages with other issues on the other pages ... the fuel tank / guage list was just over one page (landscape) long.

Hope all this helps .. but, seems there is no solution other than to replace the tank.

My thought now is to check consumer laws, trade practices etc, as the spec info states a 75 litre capacity, does this mean a 15 litre unuseable is ok under the consumer laws, or if not, can we then use that to make Holden replace the fuel tank!! Anyone have thoughts along these lines?

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
destorman said:
Response was 'there has been for sometime a problem with the fuel tank, expecially in the ute's (comment was they can only get about 50 litres of fuel in them), due to its design, there is 15 litres 'unuseable' ... I questioned why and apparently the tank has a ridge through the middle with a tube linking what becomes the 2 lower halves of the tank, which means there is about 15 litres unuseable (they also mentioned the fuel pump and hoses also take up capacity) ... and the computer is set to trigger a fill so as to not run out of petrol (due to the hose linkage between the 2 lower halves). It is a design issue with the fuel tank, and there have been computer patches but none make any difference really as the issue is the design of the fuel tank.

Sounds like just another dealer story to me. I ignore my fuel gauge these days, drive till it says 0 klms to go and then keep on driving for at least 30-40 klms. When it gets to around 20klms to empty it will sit around that "zone"
for two days of driving to and from work (a 30 klm round trip). It literally spends days hovering on or near empty.
When I eventually fill it it will take about 60 - 63 ltrs, so the "15 ltrs unuseable" story is not correct, at least not with my car.
Just the incredibly useless way in which the gauge works suggests it is a gauge problem or sender unit issue, not a fuel tank design issue. I cant see how you can stuff up the design of a fuel tank that badly, although I guess anything is possible...

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
steane said:
the "15 ltrs unuseable" story is not correct, at least not with my car.

Same here. Before the dealer got his hands on my car to upgrade the software, the tank was perfect. I put 73 litres in it a few times and the second low fuel warning had only illuminated about 20-30km prior to that (so 2-3 litres more in the tank, leaving roughly 5 litres in the tank when the warning came on).

Now that the software has been "Upgraded" I have driven over 100km after the extra low fuel warning & still only put 65 litres in it. Basically holden took what was a perfect fuel gauge & managed to f*** it up totally! :mad:

I have given up - I look at the km on the trip meter & the fuel consumption and work out when to fill up now.

MySV6

Barcode

lllllllllllllllll
Reaction score
I have found in the ute that if you look where the filler enters the tank it does not make sense
I checked mine out ( ute - 70lt) and found the filler goes into the tank at the half way level
This would mean that filling the tank to full would be impossible without dribbling the fuel in
I have found my dist to mt and warnings to be ok-not perfect but what is
but have a bad issue with filling the tank
I will be looking into getting a custom tank made soon which will fix this issue
When i do i will report on the results

R

RKZ234

Barcode said:
I have found in the ute that if you look where the filler enters the tank it does not make sense
I checked mine out ( ute - 70lt) and found the filler goes into the tank at the half way level
This would mean that filling the tank to full would be impossible without dribbling the fuel in
I have found my dist to mt and warnings to be ok-not perfect but what is
but have a bad issue with filling the tank
I will be looking into getting a custom tank made soon which will fix this issue
When i do i will report on the results

A company in Melbourne I've used before called Brown Davis, in Bayswater makes a 120lt replacement fuel tank for the Commodore Ute. No modification is required to change it over as it uses the same fixing points as the original tank. I'm told it is an easy do it yourself job to fit.

A decent sized tank like this should be a factory option on the Ute and One Tonner.

The same company also makes a 126lt tank for the Rodeo too, giving about 1000 km hwy range in the Crew Cab Diesel!

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Do I just look like an idiot or do I qualify just by buying a Holden Ute

15000 km service for my ute yesterday. Erratic fuel gauge and could only fit 58 litres from "dead empty" after running out of fuel. Dealer recalibrated the fuel gauge and the service manager said he would be interested to see how much fuel I could now get in the tank. What in the **** has the fuel gauge got to do with the actual tank capacity or the amount of fuel I could get into it... or the amount of usable fuel in the tank.

Before the service they said the "lower pickup hose in the tank could be sitting too high and they would take out the tank and check". Guess what. Got it back after the service and the strategically (loosely) placed five cent pieces in the rear tub had not moved. And I believe you can't get at the ute fuel tank without removing the tray liner. Good to know that the service guys are honest and so gentle with my baby that they can get the tub out without disturbing those 5 cent pieces.

Dealer story was that they wanted to see whether the recalibration would let me put more fuel in the tank before removing the tank to check further.

And guess what. Filled the tank. Done 92 kms and it hasnt budged off full. Sitting in the garage. Cant wait to see what it reads in the morning but my bet is that it will be around 5/8 to 3/4.

These guys could write for Steve Vizard. Have emailed GM customer service for a comment and stressed DO NOT REFER ME BACK TO THE DEALER. Will let you know if I ever get a reply. Not holding my breath.

Hard tonneau cover leaks badly as well. With the ute booked in for service seven days earlier, they then tell me there is an upgraded seals kit and they will fiyt it next time I want to bring the ute in. If it leaks... they know about the problem .... why not have a seal kit there on the day.... I can't believe the incompetence or arrogance with which we are treated. I love being without my vehicle and having to arrange pickup/drop off back at the dealer and inconveniencing my kids for a lift. My daughter is very happy she chose her Corolla from the Astra/Corolla short list.

R

RKZ234

old mans ute said:
Hard tonneau cover leaks badly as well. With the ute booked in for service seven days earlier, they then tell me there is an upgraded seals kit and they will fiyt it next time I want to bring the ute in. If it leaks... they know about the problem .... why not have a seal kit there on the day....I can't believe the incompetence or arrogance with which we are treated.

I totally agree, the kit should be done as a recall on each ute lid as they come into dealers for servicing.

It's no accident that they don't fix these problems automatically. Some beancounter must believe that a few people will just tolerate the leak or fix it themselves, therfore saving Holden a few dollars.

But what value do they place on unhappy customers not being retained as repeat customers?

What is the cost of unhappy customers telling others of their experiences and scaring potential customers away?

No amount of flash TV advertising and Motorsport sponsorship can counteract negative publicity on the street in the real world.

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Amazing Recalibration

Gauge showed full at night. 3/4 when I turned on the ignition this morning. Distance travelled 92 km at 10.2 km/100 litres. Calculates to 9.06 litres used if my maths is OK. DTE 470 Kmswhich means the gauge THINKS I have approx 46 litres remaining.

So much for the latest recalibration done on Wednesday. What a waste of time. I'll keep a diary over the next couple of tanks.

By the way have received an acknowledgement to my email to Holden Customer Service whuch said "We advise that we have referred your feedback to a State Business Representative who will be in contact with you shortly".

Will be interesting to see what this person has to say.

R

RKZ234

old mans ute said:
So much for the latest recalibration done on Wednesday. What a waste of time. I'll keep a diary over the next couple of tanks.

By the way have received an acknowledgement to my email to Holden Customer Service whuch said "We advise that we have referred your feedback to a State Business Representative who will be in contact with you shortly".

I got same the bullshit assurance, (which amounted to nothing) from Holden in response to my complaint over three years ago.

Don't hold your breath waiting to be contacted dude. If you call Holden Customer Service yourself chasing the person up, (who will not call you) you will be told the State Business Representative (whoever the hell he is) "doesn't talk to customers, he only talks to dealerships!" and Holden Cust Service will refuse to give you the his name or mobile number.

Welcome aboard the merry-go-round I've been riding for the last 36 months!!!

Sit down and prepare to be lied to initially, then treated like dirt and finally ignored by Holden!