Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
no, I have not had the upgrade. It scared the S^%$t out of me at the time but now I know, if it happens again, I have at least 20 litres left in the tank

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
New2Holden said:
no, I have not had the upgrade. It scared the S^%$t out of me at the time but now I know, if it happens again, I have at least 20 litres left in the tank

Well, before you jump to that conclusion make sure you have 5l in a petrol can in a boot :)

Reason being I ran out of fuel when the gauge showing zero, and at the servo I managed to put in just that, 55l. I think the conclusion is when it reads zero, you've actually got zero of useable fuel due to fuel pickup being installed too high in the fuel tank.

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
I had my 10k service today at a different dealer. I got them to have a look at the fuel gauge and told them I have never got any more than 55L in the tank. When I picked up tonight the guy insisted it had a 60L tank in it...

Friggin hopeless!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
thanks for the advice Shrapnel. I have read back thru this thread and see that 55 litres is about all we can use of the tank. Maybe I was lucky to get to the servo. I will be more carefull in future and try not to let the tank drop below 1/4.

bodella

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 Thunder M6
It is really interesting listening to everyone who is having these probs with the VZ ute tanks. I normally fill my ute when it has about 30-40km til empty and i get at least 63-64lts in the tank. I once ran the tank down to 20km til empty and got 67lts in the tank. It does take me a couple of mins of clicking the trigger to get that amount fuel in but it is no big deal. The fuel guage on the other hand is NQR. I can get up to 250km before the guage budges of the full position and then the guage drops quickly. But at the end of the day there is not too much to complain about my ute. I love it!!!!!

VZGEN4 said:
I had my 10k service today at a different dealer. I got them to have a look at the fuel gauge and told them I have never got any more than 55L in the tank. When I picked up tonight the guy insisted it had a 60L tank in it...

Friggin hopeless!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Logan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS Ute
Holden Service

I stumbled upon this forum by accident but after reading a few of the posts I just have to comment on Holden Service.

It is rat-s**t!!!

I bought a VZ ute last year and had enormous problems during my first service (15,000Km)

I asked them to check out a braking noise coming from the front passenger wheel & sluggish starting of the engine. Upon picking up the vehicle I asked what the result was - they were very reluctant to say much and it turned out they hadn't checked it.

I left it with them again and they said there was no problem....... no explaination, just 'no problem'. hmmmmm

They didn't stamp the log book (which they are mean't to do to uphold the vehicles warranty), but they did leave a dirty great grease mark on my drivers seat. - thanks guys.

I was so blown-away by the complete lack of care and seeming incompetance. I have vowed to NEVER go back to Holden for servicing.

I went to the local mechanic that my boss has used for the last 15 years and he immediately identified and fixed the brake noise and sluggish starting problems - and his service fee's are a fraction of those charged by Holden.

Worth noting is the fact that my wife owns a Holden Barina and has had the same kind of run-around with Holden when it comes to service - I won't go into specifics but they really have carried on like a pack of A-Holes.

I wouldn't let them touch my ute again in a fit!

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
shrapnel said:
Well, before you jump to that conclusion make sure you have 5l in a petrol can in a boot :)

Reason being I ran out of fuel when the gauge showing zero, and at the servo I managed to put in just that, 55l. I think the conclusion is when it reads zero, you've actually got zero of useable fuel due to fuel pickup being installed too high in the fuel tank.

Ok Guys, I will have to do a bit of research, but if the VZ V6 commodores fuel system is anything like the V8s then it will use every last little bit of fuel.

I know the VT-VZ V8 fuel systems backwards. The use an intake swirl pot with a pump mounted with in it. They also have a return line that runs a venturi jet pump which sucks the tank dry as dry.

HOW DO I KNOW THIS?????

I have had my entire fuel tank out of the car and on the garage floor. I then hooked the pump assembly(while still in the tank) up to a 12volt power supply and watched while the pump pumped all the fuel out. I then opened the tank and there was no fuel left.

The jet pump works extremly well.

As to why you can only put 55L into your tank I am not sure. There are a few other reasons why. But it diffenitly not becasue the pump can only use part of the available fuel.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
precentor said:
I hate Holden Servicing

So dont get them to service your car then. :bang:

By the way thanks for the useless post

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
VTSS350 said:
Ok Guys, I will have to do a bit of research, but if the VZ V6 commodores fuel system is anything like the V8s then it will use every last little bit of fuel.

I know the VT-VZ V8 fuel systems backwards. The use an intake swirl pot with a pump mounted with in it. They also have a return line that runs a venturi jet pump which sucks the tank dry as dry.
The HFV6 has a returnless system.