Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Well after the update:

The fuel gauge is total crap. Inaccurate, unreliable & far from linear that it was. 50% gauge = fill the car with 20L of fuel... Before the update you put 36Litres in it at half a tank

The 15,000K service reminder never came up.

ARGH!

C

commodore_vy

I own a VZ ute and now have on the clock 8500km......

the fuel gauge has been **** form day one.......the
first 1/4 of a tank = 7L
1/2 a tank = 20L
when needle is on empty exactly level 30L is needed to fill her up
the whole KM to empty is out because of this

I have taken it back 4 times each time the change has been minimal
so now i carry 20L of petrol with me in the tray and when it stops are starts to i fill her up

Its going in tomorrow again, to a differnt dealer to see if its just the dealer being a ******** or what the hell the problem is.............i think its something more serious than just calibration..................the software in the computer dosnt control where the sensor reads empty.....

Im really getting sick and tired of walking to the station form the dealer just cause they have my car again.....other than that the UTE is bloody owsome and have no other complaints.

C

commodore_vy

ok its back
but its no better

its seems asthough there is a design fault with the tank itself not the fuel guague software

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
I've had a VZ S ute for about a month now. Its my 4th commodore and I've also had two Clubsports a VT and VX.

Nothing in this thread suprises me. I would quite expect Holden to release a car with a crap fuel gauge (as mine is). It goes along with the archaic rear suspension and 3 speed auto that they still insist on using. I'm not sure what other car companies would release a car with such an obvious fault...? Maybe some Russian or Chinese companies perhaps?

Expecting a Holden dealer to admit to knowing anything about it could be asking too much. I have yet to find a Holden dealer who you can get any sense out of and actually stopped doing dealer services back when I had the VT as they were incapable of fixing any of the miriad of problems that car had... I just stopped trusting them and went to my own mechanic instead.

Holden do some great things with their cars and are definately the most progressive of the Aussie car companies. I keep going back to them thinking that they must have improved since I last bought a car from them. They do but they still insist on cutting the corners. So near...yet so far.

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Well I got the car back again today & it appears like the error has been fixed with the 10/15,000km service interval, Active select issues, and the fuel gauge does appear correct to the KM I have done. Apparently the probs I experienced were due to a faulty Tech2 that did not update the program correctly, and now it's fine.

The list of updates done by the program update were quite substantial, but those of you that are still experiencing the gauge problem, go back to the dealer - a new version of the program for the VZ's was released late last week that fixes the fuel gauge problem properly.

R

RKZ234

VZute3.6 said:
Ive got a standard VZ 3.6 ute and im havinf the same problems with it...it S#@ts me big time seein how its brand new, i took it back to holden and they said it was workin fine. thats was a load of crap cause it aint..im just goin to drive it till it runs out and see how many KMS i get to a tank

This fuel gague problem has been an issue since the VT. It's got me buggered why it hasn't been refcitified yet.

An easy way to work out an approximate fuel range is, fill the thing to the eyeballs and then drive 300 km of "normal" driving for you. Refill it to the eyeballs again and work out the lt/100km figure, then factor in a 5% buffer.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
This is a completely different problem in the VZ as the fuel guage works in an entirely different manner, its just unfortunate that it shows the same symptoms as the previous models, the fault is in the engine controller. there is a fix becoming available very soon.
Cheers Rob

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
My '05 S Pack ute goes in for its 3000km service tomorrow, I too have the same problem - get the fuel gauge flat on the red line, the computer says 0km to go but it only takes a max of 46L of fuel...very annoying having to fill up twice a week sometimes (not wanting to push my luck and estimate km's remaining).

If Village Motors can't fix it tomorrow, I'll be calling Holden for a bit of 'please explain'

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Well Village Motors did the "Software Update" and so far it doesn't seem any different (the fuel guage hadn't moved since I dropped it off, despite their marathon 0.8km test drive) so I'll try another tank and take it back to them I suppose, also my rear window demister was not connected... after all that and having the car for a full day I didn't even get a wash :(

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Is this just a problem in Sixes

3000 km service completed . Dealer told me they had a new sftware fix from Holden . Nothing has changed,

Dead empty at 450 km again and consumption 9.8 l/100 km

Is this only a problem with the single screen computers/

Have a friend with a VZ Berlina who says his fuel gauge is OK but Im not all that sure if he is really interested enough to care.

I spent time in a VY I Berlina 6 cylinder and it appeared quite OK but it had the three screen computer.

Interested to see if this problem is restricted to vehicles with single screen computers.

Also what about the V8s... any problems?