Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

R

RKZ234

Boeing777 said:
Well if its so bad being a Holden dealer I'm surprised there are any at all! The fact of the matter is whenever I've had a problem the dealer can't solve to my satisfaction, I've taken it up with Holden in writing, and have always had a great response, they even paid for a new timing kit for my old Vectra that was 18 months out of warranty, simply because the dealer told me 'those parts shouldn't fail'. I also addressed a problem with the seals on the VY Headlights discolouring to which the dealer said they won't do anything, Holden authorised the replacement of the headlights after a quick phone call, and then called me back 3 months later to make sure the problem hadn't re-occured!

Your respect for Holden as a company also surprises me, considering you're on a Holden-oriented forum and appear to drive 2 Commodores! Maybe you should invest in a Falcon??

As for the profit margin in the cars, I'm sure they didn't lose money on the deal despite the haggling, and in highly competitive market that they're in, any profit is good profit.

It shouldn't matter if they're getting paid $20 or $60 an hour, if they're in business they should be providing quality service, and have respect for customers and all that jazz, its the only way you get ahead in business. Even tho on paper a loan car may seem like a loss, in terms of customer satisfaction, personal recommendations, and return business, its worth its weight in gold, at very least as important as advertising.QUOTE]

I was simply pointing out that the dealer bashing sentiment sneaking into this thread was a little mis-directed. I knew this was the case from experience. I've always developed and maintained good relationships with Service Managers wherever I've been. They are prisoner to the whims of the manufacturer.

I've driven every model Commodore, and had VL's onwards through work and have driven Falcon XA's onwards, expereincing XF's onwards through work. I've also had the misfortune to own an EF Futura and an EF XR-6, both from new, which is why I changed brands after 2 consecutive Lemons and Ford quite disgracefully refusing to honour their own new vehicle warranty!

One of the reasons you and I pay $60ish p/h for non warranty work is that we are subsidising the shortfall in the Holden reimbursement for dealers performing warranty work!!

As you mentioned, when dealer service has fallen below your expectations, you've gone direct to Holden to have the probelm fixed. I've done the same a few times and had fixes conducted by Holden, that the dealer had been refused permission to do by Holden. I've also had a fix done by Holden where, when I discussed it, after the work was done with my service manager, the dealership was unaware of the fix.

I've currently got a Warranty Issue that I'm dealing direct with Holden on that has remained unable to be rectified since we bought the car brand new. It has been to dealerships more than 12 times over the same issue, the vehicle is now over 3 years old and now Holden is attempting to fob us off and avoid fixing the problem and the damage the fault has caused!

So, yes I'm a little critical of Holden as a company. Based based on my experience it is perfectly justified criticism. We have never treated people the way Holden treats us.

As for your comment regarding my respect for Holden, my grandfather (whom I now realise was an extremely wise man) had a saying that has stuck with me since I first heard it as an 8 year old. "Respect is something you must earn on a daily basis, should never be taken for granted, neither should it be given away frivolously. One should never expect it, nor should it be demanded. You shall command and receive respect by your deeds."

So if Holden (or anybody else for that matter) wants my respect, then they need to EARN it and not take it for granted.

I hope you aren't suggesting or advocating that just because this is a Holden forum, that either negative opinions or honest reporting of facts is frowned upon and that only pro Holden content is permitted to be posted. If you are, then this site shall be much the poorer if it is the case and the site will ultimately become insignificant, even superfluous as a result.

My experience of dealerships has been excellent to date. Dealerships are the meat in the sandwich, expected to run whilst at the same time Holden ties their shoelaces together!

But let me assure you Ford is far worse, so currently, we're driving 2 Commodores in a case of siding with the lesser of the two evils!!

Yes, warranty work is done cost free etc, but you have to book the car in days in advance and reschedule your life around loosing the car for a day or even more to get the work done and you have to drive to the dealership wherever it happens to be. This isn't such an issue in Metro areas, but in the country, they're often a fair way apart. I have plenty of friends and family driving, several BMW's, VW Golfs and a Bora, Hondas, a Mercedes, A Lexus 470 (rebadged top of the line Landcruiser) and a Rangie and Landcruisers. They all report on only minor issues that are addressed swiftly the FIRST TIME without fuss, which is why I'm now more likely than ever to purchase an imported vehicle this year in lieu of a Holden. (which actually goes against my grain as I'm a HUGE supporter of buy Australian, but how many chances do you give anyone to fix a fault? 12 goes and now Holden is trying to shirk responsibility is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!) I'm just so sick of being taken for granted and not receiving what I paid for. A new car is a significant purchase and we both work very hard to afford ourselves the luxury of a new vehicle each, every three years, and we expect to enjoy our purchase, not contend with an aloof, combattive manufacturer who treats private buyers as insignificant. I specifically make this last point, as I've not encountered the same attitude in relation to work vehicles, from Ford or Holden.

I'll NEVER buy a Ford ever again and sadly the only other Aussie option has nearly used up its' nine lives too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Well she went back in today to get the fuel sender replaced (final option so they said), went to pick it up this afternoon and got in and surprise surprise the fuel guage said 1/4 of a tank left, exactly what it said when I dropped it off...if the problem was fixed I would expect it to read 1/2 tank...I spoke to the head mechanic who scratched his head for a while, then said he'd order a new instrument clustre, I quizzed him on a few things and he admitted to not knowing much about the VZ (great!), then said he thinks that once the fuel level drops below half a tank, the trip computer just works out the amount of fuel left based on your economy, so I should wait until I fill up again.

I'm not sure I can trust the guy tho, the same guy who tried to convince me the Ute only had a 45L fuel tank!! Luckily someone at the spare parts counter overheard and backed me up!

So I guess its a bit more of guess and check work, but he swore black and blue it was the first VZ he's come across with the problem :unsure:

R

RKZ234

Boeing777 said:
Well she went back in today to get the fuel sender replaced (final option so they said), went to pick it up this afternoon and got in and surprise surprise the fuel guage said 1/4 of a tank left, exactly what it said when I dropped it off...if the problem was fixed I would expect it to read 1/2 tank...I spoke to the head mechanic who scratched his head for a while, then said he'd order a new instrument clustre, I quizzed him on a few things and he admitted to not knowing much about the VZ (great!), then said he thinks that once the fuel level drops below half a tank, the trip computer just works out the amount of fuel left based on your economy, so I should wait until I fill up again.

I'm not sure I can trust the guy tho, the same guy who tried to convince me the Ute only had a 45L fuel tank!! Luckily someone at the spare parts counter overheard and backed me up!

So I guess its a bit more of guess and check work, but he swore black and blue it was the first VZ he's come across with the problem :unsure:

45lt fuel tank!!!! :rofl: OMG. In a Mazda 121 maybe, but in a Commodore? Surely these people have bothered to read the service manual................ haven't they??

I'm very interested to know what the theory is behind fitting a new instrument cluster (apart from it being a case of trial and error, whereby they simply replace everything along the chain from tank to the cluster)

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Steane where are you

My ute is not going back to the dealers again for a fuel gauge fixtill its regular service is due.

OR more hopefully, that I read a post on this site from someone who actually owns a VZ ute that has had a fix that actually works.

What a waste of time. So much for dealer bashing. If they don't know how to fix something why would they waste their precious "under reimbursed" time fiddling with our cars.

Just a bit of honesty at both factory and dealer level wouldn't go astray. I have not yet taken to a dealer service mechanic or to Holden Customer Assistance with my umbrella in a fit of rage. I have calmly asked about the problem and have been met with some wonderfully imaginative, if not very realistic answers.

Are we ute buyers such a scary mob that Holden, be it dealers or factory, have to lie to us about problems. A simple "We have a problem which so far we are unable to fix but we are working on it" might save a lot of angst.

Holden Customer Assistance told me to drive my ute till the 8000Km service was due (I thought I read somewhere...oh yeah... my owner's handbook... that the next service is due at 15000km) and that the fuel tank, sender unit and computer should be run in by then and the dealer would have another look at it. I just laughed and hung up in disgust after being expected to believe such crap.

Next someone provides the line that VZ utes have only a 45 litre fuel tank. Maybe the ECU programmer, fuel gauge designer is his drinking mate and has designed/programmed the whole thing for a 45 litre tank.

Where does it stop. :bang:

Steane left us a post a while back after his fixes, informing us of his forthcoming road trip, and telling us that he would post again on his return. Word has it, from a very reliable Holden source :whistling , that Steane was unhappy and was about to make a very nasty and critical post. He was spirited away by Holden secret operatives to the Baxter Detention facility where he and his VZ ute will be held until he he can prove that his fuel gauge is accurate (or more likely signs ann agreement to post a complimentary comment to this site about Holden fuel gauges.

Even all the protesters who made the trip there at Easter could not find Steane so maybe this Holden story has some veracity.

Well maybe that is stretching things a little too far. But then again we can never underestimate the creative imaginations of those in Holden Customer "Assistance".

Would love to hack into the Holden website and change "Customer Assistance" to "Customer Pacification".

I must have something better to do with my time but if anyone is able to rescue Steane, I would love to hear of his latest experiences.

R

RKZ234

Old Man's Ute.

It's interesting you make mention of Holden's "Customer Assistance" Centre.

I've had a Warranty issue dating back over 3 years with my vehicle, that Holden haven't allowed Dealers to fix properly. Quite some time ago (over 12 months) I escallated the matter to "Customer Assistance" who gave me a case number and promised to look into it, etc. etc. etc. Numerous calls by me were met with the assurance we're working on it, Robert is away from his desk, in a meeting, on leave, sick today, can I take a message (which failed to have him call me back)

A recent call discovered that the original case number they issued had conveniently dropped off the system along with a lot of relevant case notes and details!!

I recently sent them a fax politely stating the facts as they stand and highlighting my displeasure at the issue being unresolved for so long and that Holden had failed to take ownership of the issue in a responsible manner and appoint anyone to follow up on the issue and resolve it in a timely fashion, evidenced simply by the fact it is ongoing 3 years after buying the car from new!

The "Customer Assistance" response has been to handball the issue to the dealer, have the dealer phone and attempt to placate me. This is the same dealer that HOLDEN has refused to pay to fix the fault properly!!!

At best, it's a disgraceful joke. At worst it is fraud, as we as customers are not getting what we paid our hard earned money for.

The dealers I've dealt with have been great, but they can only do so much. They are only as good as the back up support received from Holden and the quality of advice and technical fixes Holden provides them.

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Great News - Holden Solves VZ Gauge Problem

Visted my local showroom Saturday and saw Holden's latest answer for the fuel gauge problem. The gauge can now be calibrated by the driver, or set to automatic where it will even sense the price of the fuel as you drive into a service station. Holden could not confirm if the gauge could be recalibrated for PULP. The illustration in the pic was calibrated a little earlier when the fuel price was only $1.00 per litre. It also seems to cofirm the opinion of that much maligned Holden mechanic that the tank capacity truly is 45 litres and all of the Holden owners who have been able to put more than 45 litres into their utes have been ripped off by unscrupulous service stations who have calibrated their pumps to delover only half the volume of fuel that is shown on the petrol pump. As a pleasant side effect, it seems Holden have now developed the most fuel efficient V6 in the world as owners are regularly achieving around 600 kms on their 45 litres of fuel. See attached pic for the new fuel gauge iinstallation

Attachments

• vzutegauge.jpg
    vzutegauge.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 540

Ganzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S UTE 175 M6
old mans ute said:
Visted my local showroom Saturday and saw Holden's latest answer for the fuel gauge problem. The gauge can now be calibrated by the driver, or set to automatic where it will even sense the price of the fuel as you drive into a service station. Holden could not confirm if the gauge could be recalibrated for PULP. The illustration in the pic was calibrated a little earlier when the fuel price was only $1.00 per litre. It also seems to cofirm the opinion of that much maligned Holden mechanic that the tank capacity truly is 45 litres and all of the Holden owners who have been able to put more than 45 litres into their utes have been ripped off by unscrupulous service stations who have calibrated their pumps to delover only half the volume of fuel that is shown on the petrol pump. As a pleasant side effect, it seems Holden have now developed the most fuel efficient V6 in the world as owners are regularly achieving around 600 kms on their 45 litres of fuel. See attached pic for the new fuel gauge iinstallation

it isn't that servo have wrong calibrated pumps, but in fact there is a fuel gauge problem. has i picked up my new six speed manual s ute late last week it did around 500ks and the tank took 65 litre to fill. i know this servo pumps are calibrated right because it my servo.

As for running p/unleaded i was told that it would run better and cleaner

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
Picked up my ute on Thursday and have the following observations of the fuel gauge:
- reads Full when full
- takes about 20 litres (160-200kms) for the gauge to move off full
- seems to move fairly quick toward Empty from this point on
- I have filled it both times just before the low fuel alarm came on (gauge showed 1/8 of a tank left) and it took about 40 litres to fill. Went into the advanced readout on the dash before filling and the tank showed 79/255 units left, also showed 20 litres left

Using the above observations I would say my gauge reads about 10 litres more empty than is is but also has the problem when full that the gauge stays there for ages.....

Is this what you guys are seeing?

Besides the above I am loving the car!!!!

B

ByronJC

When I first picked up my VZ SV6 I had this same fuel problem I drove the thing until it was about 30K's left showing on the meter and the car died on me .. stupid thing.

So I took it back to warranty as there's a known bug issue with VY/VZ which come from the factory that have this, all they did was replace a few things for me and now I can hit as low as 0-10K's on the fuel left indicator.

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
wgs150 said:
it isn't that servo have wrong calibrated pumps, but in fact there is a fuel gauge problem. has i picked up my new six speed manual s ute late last week it did around 500ks and the tank took 65 litre to fill. i know this servo pumps are calibrated right because it my servo.

As for running p/unleaded i was told that it would run better and cleaner

Hey WGS. Have a closer look at the pic in my last post. Especially where the fuel gauge is located. Was joking about the service station. Just shows that Holden has conditioned its poor customers to accept just about anything on the fuel gauge issue.