Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
Your right Old Mans Ute, that does sound like the most reasonable response given all of our experiences to date. You just kinda know that 6 mths will become 12 mths and so on...

When my car went in and supposedly had the float arm adjusted there was a strong smell of petrol when I picked it up which would suggest they did something with the fuel tank...but I guess you never really know do you.

So, I guess the best thing to do is wait until Holden come up with a fix? I guess if we all keep this thread updated with new developments then we will know when someone finally gets their fuel gauge fixed.

Lets not give them anymore than 6 mths though...Thats approximately 24 times that I have to watch the fuel gauge in my ute do the nose dive. Thats 24 times I have to convince my subconscious that I'm not going to run out of juice.

Looking on the bright side of things though...I am one of the lucky owners of a car that has the most remarkable fuel economy yet achieved in a production vehicle....I mean what other car can do 200klms on an empty tank!!! Thats gotta be saving us all lots of $'s...

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Troy711 said:
i havent had any probs with my VZ S ute yet. when did the problems first start and what do i look for?

Mine started the day I picked it up, and basically the problem is we are only getting about 350-390km max before our fuel guage reads empty despite fuel economy in the range of 10L/100km... we should be getting 450-550km easily per tank.

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Hope you are right

Troy711 said:
ah im guessing mine is fine then... i filled it up yesterday at 330kms and it took 36 bucks and was still showing i had 1/2 a tank left

Hope you are correct but I don't like your chances. Seems OK till about 360-370 km with me then on comes the flashing bowswer and the wierd readings begin

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
I got 434km out of this tank after driving it 30km past the 0km to go, I did want to drive it to 500km but chickened out... still only took 56L of fuel tho :(

R

RKZ234

Boeing777 said:
I got 434km out of this tank after driving it 30km past the 0km to go, I did want to drive it to 500km but chickened out... still only took 56L of fuel tho :(

Based on those figures it gives you a 540km range per tank. But it's not the point is it. 30 km further after the guage shows empty, only to discover you still had 14lt left in the tank is a joke.

What I'd like to know is why has the guage reliability suddenly disappeared in changing from VY to VZ? What's significantly changed to cause the unreliability?

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Fuel used

I have found that the trip distance and the average litres/100km to be quite accurate and because most of my running is country running I rarely use more than 10 litres per 100 km.

Just divide my trip distance by 10 and decide that is litres used. So far have managed to hold my nerve to 630 km after 200 km on 0 kms to empty display.

Only problem is Im not sure how much useable fuel there is in my 75 litre tank.

Maybe someone on here who works at Holden or for a dealer could tell us. Did recall a post here from someone saying they managed to squeeze in 78 litres from dead empty.

Maybe I will try the 700km bit. Worth it just to get the free Holden assist to work if it runs out.

Hey. There is a way maybe to get some Holden action. Drive your car till it shows 0 kms to empty then call Holden assist and tell them you are out of fuel. As long as your ute is at home or at work it shouldnt matter how long they take to come.

and Holden I presume pays the local NRMA/RAC to make the call to you. Might actually cost Holden and force them into action.

R

RKZ234

old mans ute said:
Only problem is Im not sure how much useable fuel there is in my 75 litre tank.

Including the filler pipe there is pretty close to 78lt capacity.

I've personally put 74.5lt into a VY ute at Moree (nice and flat driving up the Newell Hwy - no hills) without driving it till it stalled. Not sure how much difference there is in fuel tanks (if any) between VY & VZ.

Remember, the One Tonners and Crewmans only have a 70lt tank.

Several companies now make long range tanks for the Commodore Ute and the idea of a 120lt tank is a good one, especially considering all the space under the load area going to waste.

A few years ago Ford had a twin tanks in the now discontinued Outback spec Ute.

Has anyone out there imitated this concept in a Commodore ute by fitting a second 75lt tank??

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
I am fairly sure that the standard ute fuel tank has a 70 ltr capacity and the one tonner has 68 ltrs. Thats what the little holden book says that came with my car. Maybe the books are as accurate as the fuel gauges...?