Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
VZ SV6 fuel gauge

I think the fuel gauge problem is across the board. Maybe it’s just more noticeable in the utes because of the smaller tank. I always drive till the computer says 0 kms left yet I have never been able to get more than 64 litres into what is supposed to be a 75 litres tank. I sure hope the other 11 litres are accessible if ever I need them.

The gauge is not bad till it gets to about half then it just goes bananas. The other day I left the car on a small slope. When I switched on, it wared me that I had only 20 kms to go. By the time drove the 3 kms home it said 200 kms to go. I switched the engines off then on again and it read 360 kms to go. I wish I really had fuel economy like that. But seriously, how can you something like that in a car. The wooden dip stick I used on my 1954 Veedub was better.

R

RKZ234

Troy711 said:
well here is the story from the dealer i took my car to today for the 1st service. basiclly he said that there is no problem with them. he said he hasnt heard of a single VZ with a problem. i asked why my cars fuel gauge and trip computer were so far out and his reply was that it will always show the DTE with 10 liters to spare so that people dont run them out of fuel

What a load of crap! That is either one very ignorant dealer, (which I doubt very much) or one very untruthful dealer!

As for the 10lt remaining when the guage shows empty, that's got to be one of the silliest things I've heard of for a long time. Does he really expect you to swallow that rot? That's 14% tank capacity in reserve!
:rofl:

G

Gladiateher

i own a vz one tonnerand my gauge is up and down like a honeymooners nightie so i had a chat to my holden rep and was told gm know about the problem and have a update program coming out in june 05 to fix this f@#k up so hope all is fixed then.

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Troy711 said:
well here is the story from the dealer i took my car to today for the 1st service. basiclly he said that there is no problem with them. he said he hasnt heard of a single VZ with a problem. i asked why my cars fuel gauge and trip computer were so far out and his reply was that it will always show the DTE with 10 liters to spare so that people dont run them out of fuel

Yeah that pretty much goes against everything here, and holdens claims of range etc etc - but come to think of it i'd be happy if my guage was only 10 litres out...but generally its more like 16-18L...

I've got to take mine back soon anyway since my hard tonneau is rubbing the paint off the tray in one corner, i'll see if my new gauge array is in yet!

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
all he said was 'dont beleive everything you read'. and when i first told him about the problem he said something like 'well we cant do anything about the way you drive. what is your fuel consumption rate around town?' and that was AFTER i told him what my consumption rate was

to me it seemed like he was trying to make me out to be an idiot or something

R

RKZ234

Troy711 said:
all he said was 'dont beleive everything you read'. and when i first told him about the problem he said something like 'well we cant do anything about the way you drive. what is your fuel consumption rate around town?' and that was AFTER i told him what my consumption rate was

to me it seemed like he was trying to make me out to be an idiot or something

With an attitude like that, I'd go to another dealer.

It's always wise to get your vehicle serviced and warranty work done at a different dealer to wher you buy it from, ESPECIALLY warranty work.

The dealer you buy the vehicle from from has a vested interest in NOT performing warranty work. At the end of your warranty period, they get a bonus cheque from the manufacturer for the unused portion of the warranty allowance built into the price of your new vehicle.

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
RKZ234 said:
With an attitude like that, I'd go to another dealer.

It's always wise to get your vehicle serviced and warranty work done at a different dealer to wher you buy it from, ESPECIALLY warranty work.

The dealer you buy the vehicle from from has a vested interest in NOT performing warranty work. At the end of your warranty period, they get a bonus cheque from the manufacturer for the unused portion of the warranty allowance built into the price of your new vehicle.

Mate, that's bloody good to know. Choice Magazine might be very interested in this.

R

RKZ234

BobT said:
Mate, that's bloody good to know. Choice Magazine might be very interested in this.

I've purchased numerous brand new vehicles. I have at all times tried to avoid getting warranty work done at the selling dealer.

A mechanic friend of my fathers several years ago noticed a warranty item which needed doing.

The selling dealer tried to suggest it wasn't warranty due to misuse (which it wasn't and they couldn't have proven anyway even if it was) and wanted me to pay for it.

A different dealer did the work without question 2 days later and found other faults I wasn't aware of. I've never had warranty work done by a selling dealer since.

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
BobT said:

I guess that is something worth us all considering. Holden are selling a defective product and they arent able to fix it for us. Choice magazine would possibly be quite interested in the contents of this thread.

It would be nice to email it to Choice and Holden at the same time...but thats just me being a disheartened and vindictive Holden customer looking for some revenge...or is it?

Do we really need to know how much fuel we have left. Could we not poke a twig down the filler to get some idea of depth. Perhaps drop a little pebble in and wait for the splash? Cant we work around this like all of the previous wonders that Holden have engineered into there cars...

Pushrods and rattles - Ecotec and prior and who could forget the red motor, maxing out at under 5000 rpm...what a gem and didnt we all love it. (Why?)

Auto clunks and groans - ( The traumatic was a wonder and the 4 spd auto that we are still left with is just a you beaut ripper of a thing...) Then there was the two speed powerglide when the rest of the world were driving 3 and 4 spds or even 5 in a manual. But we were happy.

IRS - What can you say... words cant honestly describe the absolutely huge "crappability factor" that is built into the design of this ancient piece of rubbish that has been unwanted by every other car company in the world for decades (that includes the chinese and russians...) I'm convinced that Holden are being paid a kickback from the tyre companies for every unit that they manage to get onto Aussie roads. What a waste of their time and our money.

Power-steering - I've only had two units fail, wonder if they have it right yet?

Diffs - great reputation they have....Even the yanks are complaining about them in the GTO's... My Dad's old VL went through 2, so I am conditioned now and just believe this to be a normal part of the ownership experience.

Ok, so thats, Engines, gearboxes, diffs, steering, suspension and now fuel gauges just to name a few. Gee, all you'd need is a body and you'd have a whole car...
But it's ok, we the Holden customer will work around it. As long as they can keep putting round wheels on the things we can punch the floorpans out and run along like little Fred Flinstones. There has to be a line in here about Holdens and Dinosaurs but its just not coming to me...
You really do have to be a died in the wool, one eyed patriot to support your local car company in this country. Unfortunately we have put up with the rubbish they have dished up since the 40's so they are not expecting us to change our thinking now.
We've been..."Thunder Struck".

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
steane said:
Ok, so thats, Engines, gearboxes, diffs, steering, suspension and now fuel gauges just to name a few. Gee, all you'd need is a body and you'd have a whole car...

I have owned a VC, VH, VK, VT & VZ. All bought with less than 20,000 on the clock (VZ was new)

Engines: I have never had a really rattly engine, and all have performed very well. The VC was sold with about 160,000km on it, the VH with about 170,000, the VK had around 240,000 (With a recon engine at around 180,000), the VT's still going at 185,000 & the VZ has 20,000 on it now.

Gearboxes. Again no problem, none of the auto's have have failed (VZ, VT, VH were auto the others manual), and with the usual oil, filter and band adjustments every 40,000km or so they changed pretty smoothly under normal load. Sure, towing really screws them up, but they are a family car, not a sports car or one designed for constant heavy loads.

IRS: Well the VT did have to get a kit put in the back & now under light loading or extended towing of a caravan it wears the tyres dead flat. It would have been nice to see the adjustment added to the cars from the factory tho.

Power Steering: The VT has finally succumbed to a leaky pump and thats a job to do soon. Not too bad after 8 years & 185,000k's I guess. No other car that had power steering has ever had a prob.

Diffs: Never had one go on me at all, but the Limited Slip in the VC was always noisy. It was a wagon so I always put it down to that.

Fuel Gauge: Well I do have to agree mine is stuffed... Kinda. When it was new it was great and the warnings came on within 1 litre of the ones mentioned in the book. When they updated the software at the service the fuel warning comes on at around 18litres left in the tank & I have never been game to run it to the second level warning :eek:

MySV6