Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Fuel Gauge Problem

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Took the ute in to have the tonneau cover looked at (was rubbing paint off) and my fog lights fitted, and I told them to take another look at the fuel guage - told them the basic problem and the lady pulled out a book, and hand-written in it in pencil was;

"VZ Commodore Ute - Fuel Consumption ~12L/100KM , Low Fuel Warning 75KM, Very Low Fuel Warning 49KM, Refill tank 45-54L"

She said there you go, theres about 20L reserve in there that doesn't show up and can't be used... I wasn't at all happy about that and spoke to the service manager who admitted what was written down was a rough guide based on their experience!

I promptly told them unless they are prepared to fit a real fuel tank, they need to make sure I can get atleast 550km out of a tank of fuel, to avoid 2 trips to the service station a week.

So when I picked it up, they said the software was upgraded to a brand new version (version 000.027.000 according to the dash software), and the report said "reprogrammed as per techline - all ok".

I'll empty this tank of fuel and report back next week.

Barcode

lllllllllllllllll
Reaction score
going with the original post i have a ss ute and have found similar probs
however i got game last time and after the third very low fuel warning and distance to empty showing 8km to go ( did this as i thought holden assit would come to my rescue ) i filled it up
filling in the normal manner i got 54 lt into it but with some patience pulled the nozzle and filled slowly from there
i stoppoed when it kept foaming quickly and found it took 66lt
the tank is supposed to be 70lt
i found the distance to empty still only showed 420km but fuel guage went all the way up to full and stayed there for approx 90km before starting to move
so i am to assume that it may be a filling problem that is causing dramas more than the guage itself
Has anyone else had issues with filling in this way
I am going to look a bit deeper at this when i get down in fuel and see if there is a breather hose issue or similar
will report back if i find anything

old mans ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Stuck on full

If I display patience in filling the tank with half a dozen or so click offs, the gauge seems to stick on full for around 100 kms. Distance to empty is impressive I must say... 720 kms and my average consumption is around 10.5 k/100 litres so at thest the fuel gauge/computer/ecu THINKS it has 75 usable litres there.

Poor computer... deluded like the rest of us.

My ute goes in for 15 k service next week. reluctant to let them pull the tank out etc to fix(?) my gauge and capacity problems.

Means the hard tonneau cover come off, the hard tray lines comes out and the fuel tank comes out.

Chances for lots of scratches, dings and things and a don't really expect any positive results.

The VZ has been on the road almost 12 months now and nothing has changed with the fuel gauge issue.

You can't tell me Holden were not aware of this problem BEFORE the first VZ ute was sold. Holden don't want to fix it. Its not safety related so they don't want to get involved in an expensive recall/replacement program.

Blatant arrogance from a company that doesn't give a stuff about its customers.

My VB SLE made way for a Toyota Cressida in 1990 because I was sick of things breaking and falling off the Commodore.

My VZ Ute will certainly not make way for a Holden replacement as was the plan when I purchased it in February this year.

The 175Kw engine is a pretty ordinary motor. Performance is nothing to write home about and consumption is actually a little worse than the Ecotec V6 VY Berlina I purchased cheaply to trade in on the ute..

Lucky for GM that the government fleet buyers insist on "Australian made". The V6 is a bare bones, pretty unsophisticated workhorse and will continue to sell just for that reason. The SS V8 buyers love the grunt and have time and again proven they will put up with so so quality as long as the performance is there.

For those of us who expect a little sophistication, care and quality in a $40k ute (my extras are towbar, hard tonneau, tray liner, passenger airbag and bluetooth phone kit) we probably have to move from the Holden stable.

Passenger airbag as an accessory reminds me of the time when many manufacturers only sold ABS brakes as part of "luxury" kits.

Why not just put a drivers seat in the ute and a bloody big interior boot in the passenger space. A street directory won't fit in the glove box.

I have to stop this typing before I actually believe that GM don't give a stuff about their customers.

R

RKZ234

old mans ute said:
I have to stop this typing before I actually believe that GM don't give a stuff about their customers.

:w00t: Surely you don't really believe Holden actually cares!! :rofl:

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
old mans ute said:
The 175Kw engine is a pretty ordinary motor. Performance is nothing to write home about and consumption is actually a little worse than the Ecotec V6 VY Berlina I purchased cheaply to trade in on the ute..

Lucky for GM that the government fleet buyers insist on "Australian made". The V6 is a bare bones, pretty unsophisticated workhorse and will continue to sell just for that reason. The SS V8 buyers love the grunt and have time and again proven they will put up with so so quality as long as the performance is there.
Hah!!!!!! It's not just me then!!!!
I think the alloytec is a piece of crap. It's gutless, torque-less, not terribly economical and if your into cars in anyway its quite a soul destroying lump of nothing. There...said it. And don't go telling me that the 190 is any different. It's not a lot different or even a lot more powerful.
I cant believe all the guys on this forum who actually think they are good. I feel ripped off and will be trading in the not too distant future.
I wont be getting a Holden or a Ford...ever again. No more fuel gauge crap for this little black duck.

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Guess what! I heard the VZ is so advanced, they used a VZ fuel tank in the space shuttle. :yeah:

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
steane said:
I wont be getting a Holden or a Ford...ever again. No more fuel gauge crap for this little black duck.

So what ute will you get? A nice 4 cyl Hilux or Jumbuck? haha! They've really got us by the balls if we want a V6 or V8 ute that has some degree of ride comfort.

So far my fuel guage is behaving, it hasn't done the usual overnight drop from half full to first red line yet.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
BobT said:
Guess what! I heard the VZ is so advanced, they used a VZ fuel tank in the space shuttle. :yeah:
damn it, you beat me to it!!

www.nasa.gov said:
NASA is troubleshooting a problem with a fuel tank sensor which scrubbed Discovery's launch. No new launch date has been set, but the earliest possible attempt would be Saturday, July 16.

hehe holden sells parts to nasa now :p

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
Boeing777 said:
So what ute will you get? A nice 4 cyl Hilux or Jumbuck? haha!

I won't be getting a ute.
I'll go back to something Japanese or German, they know how to build cars.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Pffftttttt NO car is without it's quality issues, NO car is perfect! enough said. Every make has their fair share of issues. You find me the perfect car with the 100% perfect quality and I'll buy it.