Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz headlights problem

tjd123

bic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ acclaim wagon
i have a problem with either the switch or relay for the headlights.
the other night my high beams were permanently on whilst driving home. i had to disconnect the battery to get them off. when i reconnected the battery the parkers are permanently on now as well as the cluster and head unit lights. turning the headlight switch does nothing so i'm thinking theres a problem with that. . I've had to remove the fuses for the headlamps to keep them off.

could someone please help!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have you or aynone else made any recent changes/modifications to any electrical components etc?

tjd123

bic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ acclaim wagon
other than a wire with a fuse from the battery and a ground connection made. nothing else.

i took the headlight switch out nothing seems to be wrong. but testing it. the parkers are permanently on. and nothing works when set to "auto"

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Im interested to follow this.

last weekend I had an issue where the left headlight wouldn't power up for low beam. We pulled the headlight out, checked the power feed and compared it to another VZ, all seemed the same which indicated an issue at the switch. FYI yes, tried several globes and fuses, I have a second set of VZ headlights so we even changed the entire assembly without luck.

Took the switch out, nothing seemed unusual. Gave the wiring harness at both end a bit of a jiggle and re-connected everything, it came good and has been ever since.

I'm guessing a bad earth at the switch because the power feed was all perfect at the headlight, so something's not telling it to turn on somewhere along the line. Also yes Im aware they work off the earth and have a permanant +12v to the light.

My issue is it was ex nsw police unmarked car, so I know its been hacked into to have the headlights alternate flash when the red/blues are on, although I've had it for 2 years now without an issue.

Cant help much with yours, but perhaps our faults are caused by a similar issue??

tjd123

bic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ acclaim wagon
found a problem with the wiring inside the light housing. the insulation around the wire had been torn away from a bracket and wires were touching eachother.

still have a problem with the parkers not working at all and "auto" not turning on any lights.. grr

ps does anyone no if a vy headlight switch will work in a vz?

Double O

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Just bang headlight switch for temporary use