Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ls1 draining battery while driving/running

Gregbunney4118

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore sedan, vy commodore ute,
G’day everyone sorry for the long read

I’m having troubles with my vz and I’m hopping someone on here can steer me in the right direction.

So about 2 months ago I was driving home from work, sitting at a set of light my dash turned off then back on again, thought it was odd was going to have a look once I got home but the light turned green and I went to accelerate but the engine had lost its power little like limp mode. I pulled over turned car off and wouldn’t start back up, had to tow it home.

Later that week put battery on charge drive it around the block a couple time nothing happened then at about 15 minutes it’s started again, limped back home threw multimeter on the battery and it was showing 9 V.

I then replaced alternator didn’t change, two different batteries, replaced every single relay in the car. I have checked for Continuity from alternator to battery and it’s good. Checked every single fuse in the car everything it’s looking a good, I have checked the earths. I have unplugged climate control/fan speed sender thing as been told that can short circuit, have unplugged abs module.

I have run the car and pulled non important fuses out to see if there a change e.g lights, acc sockets, a/c, blower fan, power seats, powered windows nothing changed.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
is the red charge light on when running

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Get is scanned for codes,
if the MIL isn't on, possibly it's a silent DTC,
or may even have one in its history.

What Voltage is the charge rate ?
Should be at least between 14.1 > 14.7 (average 14.4)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check the earth where it bolts to the engine.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Get a battery tester. That will give you a picture of the charge circuit in a full and complete way. For $50, you’ll identify the fault and I’m going to guess it is the alternator.

Multimeter won’t do what a charge circuit and battery tester does.