Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz my06 ss

jasonb

The Big Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 VK Commodore
Hi Guys,

Due to continuing car issues, I have decided it’s time to purchase a new car. I am currently looking at a MY06 SS manual and was wondering if you could shed any light on any problems I should look out for, any other common problems, or even your own experience.

Cheers Guys
Jas

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
Hey mate,

To my knowledge they seemed to be a relatively problem free model. I've heard of a few radiators needing replacement (with low mileage) - some have had the gearbox and clutch replaced. Noisy lifters seem to be fairly common (no louder than most LS1's though). Most of the driveline gear is derived from the 5.7 VZ's - though the '06 6.0L model's got a better clutch to cope with the extra torque and specs on the gearbox were tweaked (both auto & manual). They also got a bigger brake package & the Monaro alloys.

I believe that leather & climate control was standard equipment for the 2006 SS's as well - however you may find some don't. The ones that don't are most likely the police models - they had the previous alloys fitted, cloth trim and a dark grey dash surround (as opposed to silver).

I'm looking for the same model myself. There is a blue one in Tuggeranong at the moment - I took it for a drive about a fortnight ago. It drove very well considering the km's (130k). HBD model with rear DVD player, leather etc . + FSH through Commonwealth Motors. I did find the front bumber had been resprayed but overall seemed a good vehicle. I didn't buy it because of the price they were asking. For a higher mileage vehicle they were asking way too much money. I see they've since brought the price down.

There is another one on carsales at the moment - private sale in Wanniassa. It seems to be priced OK for the mileage (105k). I'd be negotiating though. May be worth a look.

I used to own a 5.7L VZ SSZ - the difference in low end torque is really noticeable on the 6L. It just feels that little bit more effortless. I forgot to mention the factory exhaust was tweaked for the 6L model's as well - and it does sound a bit more like a V8.

I'd be keeping an eye out for a full service history - it's one of the most important things when buying a used car. What sort of specs are you after ie. transmission, price range, km range?

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
They're both impulse blue - dealer was asking $25000 for the one with 130k & the private sale one with 105k is going for $24000. What are you thinking?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
They're both impulse blue - dealer was asking $25000 for the one with 130k & the private sale one with 105k is going for $24000. What are you thinking?

Fair enough. I bought a Turismo Blue VZ SS 6 Litre 6 speed manual from Brisbane (I'm in Melbourne) for $22500 with 118000km last October.

jasonb

The Big Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 VK Commodore
Thanks for that mat, it iss really helpful. I also too looked at the one Tuggeranong (which was moved to Phillip) and found it a bit high for the km's and so forth. I haven't looked at the one in Wanniassa as of yet, but is along the same lines as the other car.

I have to honestly agree with you about the service history, it is one of the things I am wanting the car to have when buying it. I am looking for a manual with anything less than 100k under it. Price wise, I'm looking anywhere between 20 - 30k and am happy to buy from interstate. I have found a black one in Brisbane, which has had some work done to the engine which is turning me away a bit, but is wanting 29k, has roughly 58k on the clock. There is a red one in Victoria which is pretty stock from the looks and description, has 70k (I think) on the clock and is wanting 26k drive away.

Other than that, I havent really found any others but it may be me wanting something under 100k. I'll keep looking and I will eventually grab something.

Phillshz

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
I payed $24,450 for a auto impulse blue feb `06 with only 51k on clock,back in august. Port Macquarie holden were asking $26,999. It came detailed,serviced,full tank,11 mths rego,2 new rear tyres(fronts and spare are near new),new front pads. Had to drive up from sydney (5hrs) to check it out in person and put it on the hoist there to really go over it to be sure. Handed them the cheque,signed the paperwork,grabbed keys drove home. Excellant buy,just like a new car but half price!

I missed out a impulse blue with 50k on it at $24,000 private sale and a black one at ingleburn with 70k for $22,000. Learnt that they sell immediatly so had to jump on the next one i found!

They do seem to be the most sorted out of the VT-VZ range,very few problems bar the standard commodore issues,but even they seem to rare. The 6.0l does have a lifter tick some more than others(more so on cold starts/when cold) A bit of research has told me that all LSX engines run the same lifters and the AFM lifters are different and are the noisy ones.
Mine has them tick intermittanly but more so when cold it seems but the pattern is hard to nail down,sometimes cold,sometimes hot,cold idle,hot idle,cold start,hot start its completely random but seems to actually be going away!

The 6.0l does have much more torque down low,its easy to pick it compared to a 5.7 and from 4000 to 5600 it really piles on the power/speed

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
The 6.0l does have a lifter tick some more than others(more so on cold starts/when cold).

The 6.0l does have much more torque down low,its easy to pick it compared to a 5.7 and from 4000 to 5600 it really piles on the power/speed

I get lifter noise in the cold too, goes away after a few minutes though.

Peak torque is I think 4500rpm so your spot on there.

My brother picked up his devil 6.0L ute in cairns, then we drove to Brisbane to get my turismo 6.0L sedan, then drove them both back to Melbourne. It was great fun.