Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Rim Offset / Simmons FR-C

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
Hello fellow forum members. I am seeking advise regarding the fitment of Simmons FR-C 18x8 rims for my VZ sedan. The car currently has FE-2 suspension with stock 17x8 +48et mags + 235/45/17 rubber.
The simmons rims / tyres I wish to put on are 18x8 with 245/40/18 tyres. The simmons are only available in a maximum offset of +43et. I Would like to hear from anyone that has fitted this combination successfully without any machining, guard rolling or rubbing.
Cheers and thanks in advance, Brad.

Attachments

• P8120001.JPG
    P8120001.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 353

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I currently have Potenza RE003 245/40/18 on CV8R rims with a stock FE2 suspension, and I don't have any rubbing problems.
An extra 5mm outwards should not be a problem.

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
Hi figjam,
Thank-you for your reply. I agree the extra 5mm should not be a problem, I but would really like the assurance that it isn't before splashing out on the new hoops and shoes.
BTW- I have fitted the 17" RE003's to my VZ since they came out. Excellent performance tyre. The wear rate is not good, but as you would know, that is the trade-off if you desire a bubble gum grip on any road surface. Cheers, Brad.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
With the height of your car currently you'll have no issues.

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
I thought ride height would have nothing to do with clearances when the suspension bottoms out. Or am I thinking wrong about that?
Front shock body and spring seat clearance is less than a compressed finger as standard so the +43 with 245's should just clear the front strut.
I've had a fair look underneath and I reckon the wheels must get quite substantial camber added as the suspension compresses as they are right at the inner edge of the (steel) guard lip now, front and rear. Cheers.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My rear wheels look like they would foul the guard if I carried a full load of passengers and luggage. But that is not what it used for, and the wheels would camber in if it was, and hopefully not hit the guard.
Front wheels, yes, an ant's dick to the strut and spring seat, but centre top of tyre to highest point of wheel arch is about 20mm, appears to plenty of room for movement.
The 225/50x17 tyres that I had on it before are/were bigger than the 245/40x18.
Maybe a huge bump in the middle of a tight corner on a rough road could be a problem, but the garage queen doesn't get driven like that, that is what the Crewman is for.

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
Thanks figjam,
Nice to know that the only difference between your current ride and my proposal is that my tyres will be 5mm closer to the guard lip.
I very rarely carry more than 1passenger, but is my daily, and does get whipped some. If I went for 235 tyres instead of 245 the guard clearance would be the same as your setup.
Cheers.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Plug your new and existing specs into here to give you a better idea on the differences. willtheyfit.com

wheelimage.php

On the front, the height between the hub and lower spring seat is fixed, it does not move, so although there may only be <10mm clearance, as there is no compression here there is no issue. With the new wheels being +45 they will sit even further away from the strut too. At FE2 height you will still have heaps of clearance from the guard too. I had 245/40/18 semi slicks (much larger/squarer tyre) on the front of my Maloo on a 9.5" +24 wheel, quite low and without my guards rolled and had 0 issues with it fouling on anything. Rears was a different story but my wheels are a hell of a lot more aggressive than what you are proposing. Only thing I'd recommend is going for a 235/40/18 tyre as they are far more common, and cheaper than the 245.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Only thing I'd recommend is going for a 235/40/18 tyre as they are far more common, and cheaper than the 245.

235's are the usual fit, but I thought that the Pirelli/Michelin (?) that came with the rims looked a bit 'stretched', with the rim flange outside the tyre wall. But as I have found, not all same tyre sizes are the same.
My 245's were $185 each.

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
Thank-you very much figjam and sandman for your assistance. (I know I am hopelessly ocd with stuff like this......)
I reckon I will go with the 235/40/18 RE003's on the +43 simmons hoops. That should definitely clear the guards. The 235's are about $45 bucks cheaper per tyre than the 245/40, good tip sandman. The bridgestones seem a fairly "wide fit" tyre, going by how they sit on my 17's so I think the rims shouldn't stick out from the new shoes.
I used the "wheel fit tool" (cheers) and as attached there is farkall difference from what I have to the above - probably 8mm towards the guard lip. Also for reference a couple of pics from under the front.
wheelimage.gif
PB140005.JPG PB140014.JPG