Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sticko18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Crewman SSZ
Hey guys,

First time poster and thanks for the ad!

Purchased my brother in laws old work ute, it through the O2 sensor, cam Angel and crank angle sensors (which I replaced) but with the car sitting un started for a month or so when I did start it the noise was really loud, sounded like lifters but ALOT louder.

Long story short I pulled the rocker cover off to have a look and found Bank 2 side of the engine to have an extremely loose timing chain and a carbon or sludge build up like nothing I've ever seen!!!

These things have hydrolic tensioners? Would anyone recommend pulling the cover off, de-sludging?

Please and suggestions welcome!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-191018_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-191018_Video Player.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_20220121-191007_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-191007_Video Player.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_20220121-190944_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-190944_Video Player.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_20220121-190940_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-190940_Video Player.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 170

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s a mess. All I can suggest is maybe running a 5-40w diesel oil with a change every 1000-3000 for a while. Take it out gradually.

I thought for a moment that’s got some coolant in it, a bit hard to see. That light brown colour. Could be from moisture though.

Getting the gunk out is a risky thing. So that’s why I suggested a high detergent oil to slowly break it down. I guess it’s best to get more ideas on that from others. They might suggestit would be a full tear down of the motor and clean things up.

That timing chain is a bit how ya goin.

Have you scanned for codes?

Sticko18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Crewman SSZ
That’s a mess. All I can suggest is maybe running a 5-40w diesel oil with a change every 1000-3000 for a while. Take it out gradually.

I thought for a moment that’s got some coolant in it, a bit hard to see. That light brown colour. Could be from moisture though.

Getting the gunk out is a risky thing. So that’s why I suggested a high detergent oil to slowly break it down. I guess it’s best to get more ideas on that from others. They might suggestit would be a full tear down of the motor and clean things up.

That timing chain is a bit how ya goin.

Have you scanned for codes?
Thanks for the reply mate, yes scanned for codes which showed the O2 sensor and the crank and cam angle sensors.

I can't run it while the tensioner is that loose. 1 for the noise as it is LOUD and im concerned about it jumping a tooth.

Cheers mate

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It all comes down to how it's running. Since the chain is loose and it's running like a tractor you need to pull the timing cover off to work out what's going on. While you're doing that you might as well go all the way and take the sump off too because when they get sludged up the pickup gets blocked and you lose oil pressure.
If it was me I'd want to get rid of that sludge too. Degreaser or kero etc and a brush, new tensioner or whatever it needs, clean pickup with new o ring and fresh oil. The. Cross your fingers and hope it runs smoothly for another 5 years.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I'd be getting a whole timing chain kit, then pulling it apart and cleaning as necessary. More than likely the chain guides are worn if it's been slapping around like that for a while. And would also be paying close attention to the crank sprocket once it's apart to make sure there is no sign of wear.

Sticko18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Crewman SSZ
Screenshot_20220122-172213_Gallery.jpg

*update*
Pulled the timing cover off to find the top right guide is extremely worn!

The engine wasn't as sludged as I initially thought. As under the rocker covers was horrendous.

$42 for a new guide off ebay is a pretty good result.

Or should I still go ahead with changing the chains and sprockets??

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do the lot or you will remember this thread quick enough if you don’t. Replace the oil pump too. Then mod the PCV in the cam cover. You’ll find a how to for it in that section of the forum.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The two forum members who posted 4th and 5th are people you should listen to. Solid experience.