Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] VZ Solve accelerator pedal position sensor issue or convert drive by wire to cable

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi all,
I have a VZ SS ute that does not have an accelerator pedal - it was missing from the shell when I purchased it. My sons and I have rebuilt the LS1 and added some go fast bits; however, we can't get it to run as we are missing the accelerator. I have fitted a couple of "genuine" LS1 VZ pedals that clearly weren't. Different pin outs etc.

So - is there an aftermarket option that I can use in place of the accelerator pedal position unit or is the only option to change to cable. If cable is tha answer what is involved in the mod - do I need to find a VY loom?

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi all,
I have a VZ SS ute that does not have an accelerator pedal - it was missing from the shell when I purchased it. My sons and I have rebuilt the LS1 and added some go fast bits; however, we can't get it to run as we are missing the accelerator. I have fitted a couple of "genuine" LS1 VZ pedals that clearly weren't. Different pin outs etc.

So - is there an aftermarket option that I can use in place of the accelerator pedal position unit or is the only option to change to cable. If cable is tha answer what is involved in the mod - do I need to find a VY loom?

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Which VZ LS1 came with a DBW throttle body?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
The 05 VZ had the 5.7 and they changed them to 6.0 litre in 06.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The 05 VZ had the 5.7 and they changed them to 6.0 litre in 06.

The 6.0 L98 and 6.0 LS2(for HSV) had drive by wire throttles.
LS1 never had a DBW throttle, its PCM couldn't drive it.
Do you have the original engine in the VZ?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi lmoengnr

Thank you for your advice; however, I think in this case you are a little off the mark. What I have in front of me is a Gen III VZ with TAC and PCM connected to an incorrect accelerator pedal. I have checked the information with Holden and with the genuine Holden Tech manual for the VZ (which also covers VY, VT, VX and VU along with the corresponding W series vehicles).

Straight from the Holden Manual for the 05 VZ Gen III (page 6C3-1-16):

3.3 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System
Description

The throttle actuator control (TAC) system is used to improve emissions, fuel economy and driveability. The TAC system
deletes the mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle plate and eliminates the need for a cruise
control module and idle air control motor. The TAC system consists of:
• an accelerator pedal assembly which includes:
• accelerator pedal,
• accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 1,
• accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 2;

and from the manual for the 06 VZ Gen IV (page 6C4-1-15)

3.3 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System
Description

The throttle actuator control (TAC) system is used to improve emissions, fuel economy and driveability. The TAC system
deletes the mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle plate and eliminates the need for a cruise
control module and idle air control motor. The TAC system consists of:
• an accelerator pedal assembly which includes:
• accelerator pedal,
• accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 1,
• accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 2;

From the 05 VZ V6 manual (page 6C1-1-18) and 06 VZ V6 manual (page 6C4-1-15):

3.5 Throttle Actuator Control System
Description

eliminates the mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle plate and eliminates the need for a cruise
control module and idle air control motor. The TAC system comprises of:
• The accelerator pedal assembly which includes:
• the accelerator pedal,
• the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor one,
• the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor two.

if you can point me to a different reference showing the cable setup and how the modules interact I am all ears.

The vehicle was complete when I purchased it less the computer and the accelerator pedal. I have the TAC and PCM as shown in the maniual installed in my vehicle and I have pinned out the TAC to Acclerator pedal to confirm both continuity and pin location. The vehicle starts and idles. The Tech 2 can see the TAC but reports both APP sensors as not in range and puts the vehicle into safe mode. I either need to find a correct pedal or change it to cable. I am trying to restore her to original - so I will persevere with my quest for now.

To answer your last question: the motor is out on my VY - which was written off after colliding with a roo. The VY was definitely cable throttle.

Regards

Jolls

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the correction.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The 6.0 L98 and 6.0 LS2(for HSV) had drive by wire throttles.
LS1 never had a DBW throttle, its PCM couldn't drive it.
Do you have the original engine in the VZ?
I have an LS1 VZ with drive by wire.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I can’t get my head around the scale of global after market parts for these engines, how many models used them, and that there is no one making after market pedals.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
It is strange that the US models for the V6 and V8 used the same pedal unit - which is again different to the home versions. You have to think that the engineers were playing with concepts prior to introducing a commo unit for later models.