Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ ss auto or manual

05vzcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore
Hi everyone, I have been planning to buy another VZ SS commodore but an ute version but I don't know whether or not I should buy an auto one since they are cheaper or go for the more expensive option with a manual one. any advice? also planning to build the engine as-well and if I get an auto I'm gonna put in a short shifter kit same with if i go manual. live in a city if that helps. cheers everyone

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Completely up to you and what you prefer. What's your eventual goals with it?
is it a daily, weekender or somewhere inbetween?

How bad is the traffic in the city?
Would you be happy to be clutching in and out in heavy traffic?

Lots of variables that we all have opinions on and have differing views.
Example all of mine are manuals, good fun and I enjoy the way I can drive them. Heavy enough traffic sucks but I am just used to it so am not fussed by it and am not in that heavy traffic too often anyway. But then jumping in any Auto it just feels like an a to b shopping cart.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi everyone, I have been planning to buy another VZ SS commodore but an ute version but I don't know whether or not I should buy an auto one since they are cheaper or go for the more expensive option with a manual one. any advice? also planning to build the engine as-well and if I get an auto I'm gonna put in a short shifter kit same with if i go manual. live in a city if that helps. cheers everyone

As a 18yo how many Commodores have you owned?

Reactions: Lex

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I've had both an auto SS sedan (LS1) and a manual thunder ute (L98) and both were pretty good tbh. I drive it as a daily, in traffic every morning, lot of stop start, the manual has never bothered me, can crawl through traffic with clutch alone or drop the gears to floor it past slow drivers if needed. The auto has a bit more delay when accelerating heavy but overall I think it's a bit smoother when just cruising. I auto felt like the auto was a bit more droney with a big exhaust but that could have just been the setup on that car, the auto tended to want to try and sit about 1700-1800rpm or as low as possible when cruising, the manual I find has no drone. The auto might also feel a bit slower with the diff ratio but if you are planning to change any of that it's less of an issue. It can get more expensive if you decide to put in a big cam etc. as you also need to think about a high stall and if you get a 6L auto you might need to remove the DoD too. The auto was more fun for burnouts as just easier to do.

Overall both are good but depends what you want out of the car.

Reactions: Lex