Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS battery or starter motor

RIP 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ sedan
I've recently bought a VZ SS. After picking the car up and driving it approx 40km, I had an issue restarting it after having it off for 5 -7 min, It would crank but not fire after the system check said ok. I took the key out and tried again but I didn't wait for the system check and had my foot on the accelerator a bit. No dramas it started.
Since then I've only done short trips and no issues, until today. Drove about 20km and had the car off for 15min wouldn't start. Tried the same trick a couple of times, wouldn't start. I was lucky that some nice people gave me a jump and it fired straight up with no issues. I then took a Gamble and drove 5-7km to our next destination, knowing the car was going to be parked for at least an hour. Came back out and it started straight up.
Is the starter getting hot on longer trips and needing time to cool???
I also have that annoying abs fault click on when I first start the car for all of two seconds, after the system check saying all ok. Had the abs fault checked and it's not throwing any codes.
Leads me to think it's a battery fault. Going to get it checked tomorrow to see if it's on its last legs.
Sorry for the long post, thoughts anyone???

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The fact that it started straight up without any drama when jump starting it points towards a battery issue.
Get the battery load tested and the alternators charge rate checked at the same time for piece of mind.

Have read several threads on the forum now where people have had ABS warning light & dash lights start playing funny buggers when the battery is on it's way out. After replacing the battery everything was fine.

RIP 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ sedan
Cranking amps on battery were real low. Replaced battery. Abs fault gone. Restarting after longer drives after 5min issue has seemed to have gone as well.

Doesn't explain how it would restart after letting it sit for awhile though????

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
It is electronic ignition that gets things going. So the investigatiion with starting/start-fails and any hesitation (turning over but no firing) should start at the ignition module.