Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS diff and tailshaft query

exec57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EXECUTIVE
I have a VZ SS 6L auto and have just bought a VY2 clubsport 3.73 lsd and tailshaft out of a 6spd manual.

Are the 4l65e and t56 tailshafts the same length and if not can i use the auto tailshaft from the vz with the vy diff,it appears the pinion yoke on the vz may be slightly larger?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Do a search for surf wagons posts, he posted pictures of the different size yokes a couple of years back. It could be in his ride thread.
So, yes they are different.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
What I found was the yoke on the tail shaft and the diff were different for the VZ diff I got, I needed to change the flange, this took a rattle gun, 32mm (or 36mm can't 100% remember and gave the brand new set of sockets to Dad after using them)socket and a hammer!

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I did the same diff change in reverse a VY 3.73 into my VZ.
My local diff place replaced the front VY yoke to a VZ one for about $100.

exec57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EXECUTIVE
Thanks for the replies guys,so looks like i can probably get the vz yoke fitted to vy 3.73 lsd diff and use the vz tailshaft.

This might sound stupid,does anyone know if the manual vy tailshaft and diff could be used in the vz as a whole unit. Yes the yoke is smaller but tailshaft is like new and matches diff. Not sure if auto and manual tailshaft are different lengths or if gearbox yoke manual vs auto are different?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I don't know the specific answer, but I do know there are a mountain of different combinations of drive shafts so quite likely different manual to auto, V6 to V8 and wagon to sedan possibly even year to year. You could measure the 2 drive shafts to check.

do they both have the donut at the front?