Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Diff opinions

Bulletz12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6sp
Hi i have a VZ SS 6sp Manual and i am looking at Diff options, My Diff at the moment makes abit of noise when turning into car parks driveways etc almost like it is locked?? also has a "donk" noise when driving off have been told it could be the wrong Diff oil or the LSD plates are had it. just wanting to know if i will be better off doing a factory rebuild or going with a Truetrac LSD with a new bearings and gear set? brings me to my next question what ratio is best to run and how would it effect the speedo? Cheers guys.

H

harrop.senator

I like 4.11's with a t56 especially if cammed.

If it's one of the litres it may have a tr6060? They have a shorter first gear from memory and are better suited to 3.7-3.9.

3.7 was factory hsv , 3.46 for ss.

You can re adjust the Speedo by changing the ppk signal in the cluster with a good scan tool. I'm unsure if being manual if it has any sort of speed sensing and rpm change in the tune but?

True track or torque lock is a definite upgrade from the factory cone unit.

I'd also be checking the cv's especially if lowered?

Get genuine gears not aftermarket.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did they still have cone in VZ? I thought they switched to clutch pack in VZ? Also thought you had to use specific Holden additive in VZ - on, SS LSD.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
+1 for the true trac centre, it’s a far superior lsd unit even compared with a rebuilt std diff I did this and 3.9 gears in my old manual vx ss and was heaps better and more lively with the 3.9’s

H

harrop.senator

Did they still have cone in VZ? I thought they switched to clutch pack in VZ? Also thought you had to use specific Holden additive in VZ - on, SS LSD.

Still cones in the ones I played with.

I think it was only the zf diffs VE on were clutch pack.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
And are you sure about 3.7s in the hsv?
My vz hsv and ss (thunder) both have the same rpm for gears and speed with the t56 in them.
Thought they all had 3.46s?

H

harrop.senator

Mums clubsport r8 has 3.73's with a stock lsd. maybe it's an r8 and GTS thing? I've driven Maloo r8's and clubsport r8's. They were manual and was definitely shorter then ss.

VZSV857

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 Built L77 M6 430rwhp
My 05 VZ Sv8 came with 3:73s from factory.