Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Fuel Consumption

dhunter_427

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ 5.7 M6
I am looking at getting a series 2 vy or vz ss ute, however reading some reviews on them i have been turned off because every review points out that the fuel consumption is terrible! Of course it has to be expected that a V8 uses a lot of fuel, but one review said with a mix of city and mostly country road driving, the 05 SS Ute was getting a consumption of 23 litres/100 km!! :my: And from what i have read i've found most average about 13-15 litres/100k. I was wondering if someone who actually drives one could let me know if this is the case?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
from wat ive been told by my mate a monaro vz does about 18L with a bit of spirted driving but higher if been flogged

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
Get a tune.....

Our VYII Calais manages 15L/100km with me driving it..untuned... Ive heard 12-13 being the norm for a tuned LS1.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
23L/100km would have to be an instant readout with the foot flat I reckon. I buy every Wheels and Motor magazine, and I can't remember seeing anythin more than 15L/100km with the mix of sriving they do (which, in most cases, includes a few laps of a track, drag strip a few times, city and country driving). Between the Holden V8's, Ford V8'd and the 300C, the Holdens get the best economy by a few litres at least.

xcaluber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I spend two hours a day in heavy traffic. My SS averages 14l/100km's. On long distance it somtimes comes down to under 10l/100km's. Stock car.

SSZ Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6
xcaluber said:
I spend two hours a day in heavy traffic. My SS averages 14l/100km's. On long distance it somtimes comes down to under 10l/100km's. Stock car.

I have owned a VYII SS and now a VZ SS and I agree with the above figures.

On straight cruising in 6th gear I have see nas low as 9.5 L/100km, on the other hand have seen it above 20 on the odd occasion. Usually due traffic or my right foot...

V

VX_KN079

Evman said:
Between the Holden V8's, Ford V8'd and the 300C, the Holdens get the best economy by a few litres at least.

Wrong! The Hemi 300C gets the best of that bunch because of its DoD (Displacement on Demand) technology. It's a V8 that gets the fuel efficiency of a V6...

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
I usually get 16 - 17L/100km city driving my SS. But this week has been a BIG exception... thanks to the morons who can't drive in Sydney who caused so much traffic that it took me 2 hours to get to work on Wednesday (and no I wasn't caught up in the fatal prang on the freeway), my SS got up to 23.5L/100km... eeek.

V

VX_KN079

DavoTheGreat said:
my SS got up to 23.5L/100km... eeek.

OUCH! Thank god I don't have to deal with Sydney traffic... I'd be in gaol for sure by now due to road rage. I can't imagine taking two hours to drive to work, but it's got to SERIOUSLY suck! Love Canberra peak hour. Lasts from 8am until 9am and still only takes 30 - 40 minutes to get from anywhere to anywhere :D

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
VX_KN079 said:
Wrong! The Hemi 300C gets the best of that bunch because of its DoD (Displacement on Demand) technology. It's a V8 that gets the fuel efficiency of a V6...

Uhhhhh I'd be checking that if I was you.

It's supposed to, but in reality it doesn't. Im pretty sure there was a review somewhere slamming it.

"Stand on the gas and you'll notice the effect at the pump, with fuel consumption swelling as rapidly as the all-American roar of its eight cylinders. The urban part of the drive consumed 16.8l/100km."

"The new Hemi V8 has 250 kilowatts of power and 525Nm of torque, which hustles the 300C sedan from rest to 100kmh in 6.4 seconds. However, the engine's not solely about performance and it has what Chrysler calls a "Multi-Displacement System" (MDS) to improve economy. The MDS turns off the fuel injection in four of the cylinders in the 5.7-litre engine when their power isn't needed, which gives the car 12.1 litres/100 kilometres average fuel consumption on a combined city/highway cycle."