Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS headlights conversion into an VZ SV6

nickkjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
If you are going to get SS lights I reccomend getting geniune ones, I bought aftermarket copies and the light out put was horrible, went down to the wreckers and got some genuines and they are perfect

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Thanks for the recommendation.
As for the SS ones, are they Projectors?
also, what dif is a projector lens from a regular one (i know its a stupid question but iv never noticed the dif?)

nickkjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah ss are projector but i cant help you in telling you the difference lol!

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Cheers morphix. where would the world be without Wikis lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Series 1 Calais - 3.8 V6 Auto
The difference between a regular VZ Headlight from the VZ SS or HSV Z Series are these 2 things...

Projector Lens replaces the poxy old and outdated Halogen Light
and
Parker Lights have been moved to under the indicator (the 2 light strips under the Indicator) because of the change from Halogen to Projector Lens as the Parker Light is actually right under the main Hi/Low Halogen Beam on regular VZ Headlights

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
basically the projector head light will give you a more directed beam pattern with further distance,
drive your car up to a wall at night time and look at how the lights look close up then back away and they slowly start to fade out

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Sorry to pull up an old Thread

I have just fitted SS headlights to my Accclaim and was wondering if its normal for low beam side turns off when you switch to high beam, but if you flas high beam on stalk by pulling backwards both light up, Is this normal or has anyone had similar issues.

Thanks in advance

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
That is normal, it is due to the way the headlights are wired. I'm not sure if it is legal however... It is all down to the standard H4 bulb having two filaments inside the globe, and being used with two wattages.

Standard headlights:
Low beam = H4 (55W low beam filament)
High Beam = H4 (60W high beam filament) + H1 (55W High Beam bulb)
This means with the high beams turned on, the low beam 55W circuit of the H4 bulb is turned off, but the high beam 60W circuit of the bulb is on (in addition to the H1 bulb).

Projector headlights:
Low beam = H11 (55W)
High beam = H11 (55W)+ H9 (65W)
When you have the high beams on, the low beam circuit (55W) and the high beam (65W) are both getting power.

Projector headlight in standard car:
Low Beam: H11 (55W)
High Beam: H9 (65W)
When you use the projector headlights in a standard car and you flick on the high beams, they will try and light up the secondary wattage of the low beam bulb (which doesn't exist) so you just get the H9 bulbs lighting up.

There is a wiring mod you can do to "fix" the circuits to work as designed.