Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ss radius rod bushes

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
hey all I changed the bushes on my radius rods today but on the drivers side one of the threads that's on the chassis so you can put the 4 bolts on was snapped does it matter that I'm putting it back on with 3 bolts and obviously the the main bolt to the rod I took it for a test drive drove great just wondering that's all

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's better to have 4 bolts but I would guess it can still be driven with 3, your choice!
Did the little bolt break? Can you get a new bolt and replace it?
A picture would help people give you suggestions.

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
well I jacked the car up as I went to start the job I looked at the bush and the plate that connects to the chassis with 4 bolts was only held by 3 and I could see one was snapped and flush with the chassis so I don't know how to get the old thread out for one to put a new one there to then be able to add the 4th little 13mm nut

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I just took this photo as you can see the bottom right the thread is snapped into the chassis but the whole on the bush is sitting directly in place with were the thread should be going through the whole I don't know how to get it out and seems like its staying in place as ive driven the car now that's why im wondering if its unsafe or not or if any one has any ideas how to get the old thread out and put a new one in

Attachments

• bush rod1.jpg
    bush rod1.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 259

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Did the radius bushes recently myself! If broken bolt is a stud, maybe punched out and replaced...! If not and is a preset welded bolt or stud, BUMMER! Centre punch centre of broken bolt and drill deep into it. Front dampener bush and arm as seen in the pic, removed to allow room. If stud being removed is high tensile, happy drilling! Hehe, oxy may needed but only on stud to soften. Would be a buggar of a job! Better done in a pit. When drilling? easy out (I doubt) if it is threaded, maybe a good punch, 3 pound hammer and WD40 if it is a pressed in stud that broke. Otherwise hole drilled through bolt/stud small drill size then gradually drill sizes up to the final drill you is the size of a new bolt that you fit. Use a good spring washer as well!
Good luck

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Punch the old bolt out and replace it.....It'll be safe enough to drive to a place to get the replacement bolt

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
well ive been driving it as I couldn't get a punch in there it hasn't moved and has stayed in place and the car is handling great lol but ill try this weekend to punch the old bolt out again

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
well ive been driving it as I couldn't get a punch in there it hasn't moved and has stayed in place and the car is handling great lol but ill try this weekend to punch the old bolt out again

Can't get a punch to it???? The bolt sticks out like a sore thumb with enough room between the bolt and the radius rod end, you could swing a cat without hitting the radius rod....Weird

kyriacandro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Can't get a punch to it???? The bolt sticks out like a sore thumb with enough room between the bolt and the radius rod end, you could swing a cat without hitting the radius rod....Weird
well with the bumper on there isn't really much room not sure about yours but with mine on the drivers side there isn't much room

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
well with the bumper on there isn't really much room

If the bumper is in the way take it off and get it out of the way.
It takes f@#k all to remove a bumper on a VZ