Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS temperature issues

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I went through maccas the other night and the line was quite long so the car was getting hot. thermos going crazy

anyways, since then the car appears to be running hot and then normal and then really hot and then mid gauge. (usually sits just over 1/4)

any advice if this seems like thermostat, air lock or is it behaving more like a temp switch? i've had a temp switch go on a VY SS and it was just an error code.

I haven't touched the water/coolant since i bought the car a few thousand kms ago.

any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. thanks :)

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Have you actually checked the coolant level? Start there (the actual radiator level when cold- you may have to remove the plastic cover over the rad to get to it by memory) and let us know.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
What was the air temperature ? Did you have the air conditioner running ? Were both your fans running (i.e. low speed and high speed) ? Did your engine have sufficient coolant ? How recent was the last coolant flush and replacement ? Have you ever had your cooling system pressure tested ? Just a few points for you to consider as you try to ascertain if you have cooling problems. Good luck.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
Mine showed similar issues when the steam pipe between the heads was corroded.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
when the coolant temp sensor plays up it can make the gauge read in steps instead of smooth linear so if u can view actual temp reading see if it stays smooth or if it jumps 3 or 5 deg at a time, coolant temp sensors are a cheap replacement also and ur ecu uses it also before the gauge so it will affect that too

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
What was the air temperature ? Did you have the air conditioner running ? Were both your fans running (i.e. low speed and high speed) ? Did your engine have sufficient coolant ? How recent was the last coolant flush and replacement ? Have you ever had your cooling system pressure tested ? Just a few points for you to consider as you try to ascertain if you have cooling problems. Good luck.

it has been very mild here. 25 degrees odd. sounds as though both fans running. heats up irrepsective of a/c. no idea about the history other than that the previous owner said he had done pump but it looks original. not had system tested... yet

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
when the coolant temp sensor plays up it can make the gauge read in steps instead of smooth linear so if u can view actual temp reading see if it stays smooth or if it jumps 3 or 5 deg at a time, coolant temp sensors are a cheap replacement also and ur ecu uses it also before the gauge so it will affect that too

it definitely screams up and then free falls down. it does appear to have notchy movements too

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Mine showed similar issues when the steam pipe between the heads was corroded.
what does the steam pipe look like? will bleed system and have a look for the pipe in the AM

Last edited:

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
sorted - my hot tip... don't check the water level at the overflow dipstick

took 4L of water and a new cap (what a dumb ****)

thanks for all the advice!