Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SSZ feels slow, thinking of camming (LS1 Auto)

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
hey guys

a few years back I did a few things to my VZ, Pacemaker tri-ys, high flow cats, twin two and half inch cat back, tune and OTR it made 240rwkw (exact figure is in my sig)

any way it used to feel quick, but now it just feels slow its not kicking down gears when giving a boot full like it used to and I have nfi idea why, only thing i changed was the wheels to 20s I have a set of diff gears to throw in only 3.45s,u9 hopefully it helps.

Long story short I wanna do the gears and do a cam upgrade, what would be my best bet on an LS1 Auto with stock converter and roughly the cost?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
sell 3.45's, fit 3.7 or 3.9's. You will rarely feel much of a difference going to a 3.45 rear.

Look for something in comps LSL lobes or a Howards grind, something like a 219-223 for intake and around 227 for the exhaust with LSA being 112 - 114 < depending on how much lope you would like. Basically utilise a higher lift camshaft as the LS1 heads are great from factory.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
read the thread about VE SS cam selection just below this one ;)

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Decided to get 3.9s and the VCM 21 Cam.

Last edited:

Jamie_vzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ls1
have you got the vcm 21 in?? im interested to see what you think I have been looking at this cam to

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
have you got the VCM 21 in?? im interested to see what you think I have been looking at this cam to

Not yet, just purchased the cam kit online from the VCM store and ordered the diff gears. Once I receive them I will book the car it to have it fitted up.

Hopefully soon and I will post the results I am currently at 241.7rwkw I hope to get around 270

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Was there an issue with your auto not kicking down? Might pay to get it serviced at the same time.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Good choice of stick, my advice is get a trans cooler as that stick will still push on the auto/stock stall, also the cooler is just a smart upgrade.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I do plan on servicing the box when I get the gears done, and will get a trans cooler next pay.

How much does the VCM 21 push on the auto? Was told that it wouldnt, if so should I be considering a 2800rpm stallie or will it be ok for a while?

Issue with the down shifts I believe is in the tune, when in normal it shifts up and down well and in pwr it don't like to shift down.

Vxcalaisv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder L98
I had a comp cam 220/220 cam only installed in my vx calais. Took me from 226rwkw to 274rwkw with an awesome difference in torque and my rpm range went from 5500 redline to 6500. Great little cam. Sounds nice too and cost 2800 supplied and fitted