Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ starting problem. Possible ECU issue???

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
That's right, don't do a heap of short trips around suburbia; I learnt this from Holden more than a decade ago: the V6s don't like it. I only do long-distance driving with mine. For suburbia I use an MTB, the bus, the train or walking.

Short trips will also shorten the battery life. I know an crusty old codger in my old home-town of Castlemaine (Victoria) who drives his VY Commodore 100 metres from the garage to the letterbox... "because I can!". It burns oil, makes a loud noise, has bald tires and the exhaust is rusted away...:(

curupt cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5ltr , vz crewman , vectra , chevrolet lumina
Hi everyone,

Desperately searching for some answers, if anyone can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Monday morning I tried to start my car, wouldn't kick over. The engine turns, displays an ABS Error on the LCD and the engine dies. I've had a scan tool on it and the computer is going no error codes at all, however in diagnostic mode on the dash I get a trouble code "0000000000000000100000000000000". Contacted Holden and they said it could be low battery. Swapped the battery for another full battery, same thing. The engine's getting fuel, the engine's getting spark. I've checked all the ignition relays and fuses, relays and fuses for the ABS, even removed the ABS relays entirely (Holden said no ABS shouldn't prevent the car from starting) and still nothing. Checked ABS sensors on the wheels, they're clean as a whistle. I've been told in passing that the VZ's have a common issue regarding the ECU, BCU or the PIM giving up the ghost. Contacted an auto-elec this morning and picked his brain, he said "yes, the VZ ECU issue is common". Central Coast Holden can't book me in until Monday, the car needs to be towed and I've been quoted that if it's the ECU, i'm looking at around $1,000 to have it replaced.

The car has 215k on the clock, has been regularly serviced and was very well looked after by the previous owner and has similarly been well looked after by myself. I've had no issues with the car since I bought it in January 2013 until now and it's totally crippled the car. Last time it was driven was Saturday night (just gone) with no issues at all, ran perfectly like it always has.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is this as common as I've been told? Has anyone else experienced this or a similar issue?

Cheers :bomb:
Was your car cranking over and not starting? Mines doing exactly that, May have to try this
Im haveing same problem except i got no crank no start all new fuses/relays/sensors and i done a parastic drain test start pulling fuses and hello ecu/bcm fuse what makes me more pissed is my ecu and bcm are new an freashly programed buy holden diagnostics so only option i can think of is find that dam open circuit only other diffrnt thing i hav that i noticed is fuel pump relay only has 1 power feed from ignition only not ecu as well ummm error codes all over dash but scantool comes back clear lol "fuel gage error contact dealer" stupid bloody alloytecs rubbish

Last edited:

curupt cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5ltr , vz crewman , vectra , chevrolet lumina
Do a parasitic draw test with multi meter

Amyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 05 Ute
I seemed to have fixed my problem with it not turning over.. not sure which thing I did actually solved it...I got a new key, and I also followed another thread on this and took out the fuel pump fuse and kept turning it over till the fuel ran out then put fuse back in..Apparently this resets the computer. I was only doing very short drives and the engine wasn't getting warm so apparently Vz's dont like that and thinks it's in a cold environment even though I am in Queensland. Left car running till warm before turning off for quite a while too...Ever since I have done these things it starts first time every time. I also gave the ignition ring around where the key goes a really good clean. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tharindu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz s ute 2005
Hi mate, i got a same problem. How can i find the fuel fuse in fuse box, i read the diagram but there’s no any sign calling fuel pump. 2005 vz s ute,
Thanks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I can tell you that removing the fuel pump fuse does not "reset" the computer. These cars just don't work like that. I'd imagine it was more to do with the key reader ring.

The fuel pump thing may have assisted with solving hydra locking.

*Still, no harm in doing it, costs nothing to do.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi mate, i got a same problem. How can i find the fuel fuse in fuse box, i read the diagram but there’s no any sign calling fuel pump. 2005 vz s ute,
Thanks
Pull the lid off the fuse and relay panel. Turn it over. It has the locations marked.

Attachments

• 33813C76-1145-41EF-9324-F147E24D444F.jpeg
    33813C76-1145-41EF-9324-F147E24D444F.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 158

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Pull the lid off the fuse and relay panel. Turn it over. It has the locations marked.
That's the one under the bonnet isn't it?
Might be why he can't find it in the fuse box inside the car if indeed that was where he was looking.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride