Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Steering wheel buttons illumination.

Tnarg78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim Wagon MY06
Hi all, just new to this site and have found it be full of great info. My question is, are the buttons on the steering wheel supposed to illuminate when you turn your headlights on? Mine don’t. I have just installed a Pioneer head unit with a CAT 10 and thought maybe I had done something wrong to cause this, however I’m also thinking it would have nothing to do with the lighting. I can’t say I paid too much attention to whether or not they illuminated before I installed the head unit.

Cheers
Grant.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Mine in the ss do, but they didn't in my old vy berlina.
From what i'm told only the calais and models above have it, as do the ss.

gregiem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Depends on the model of and transmission. SV6 auto has lit up buttons because of auto shifter paddles on steering wheel.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
My VZ Berlina don't light up also.

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
I think the general rule of thumb is that if it has steering wheel paddles, then the radio controls light up, if they don't have the paddles then they don't (from what I understand anyway).

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Hi all, just new to this site and have found it be full of great info. My question is, are the buttons on the steering wheel supposed to illuminate when you turn your headlights on? Mine don’t. I have just installed a Pioneer head unit with a CAT 10 and thought maybe I had done something wrong to cause this, however I’m also thinking it would have nothing to do with the lighting. I can’t say I paid too much attention to whether or not they illuminated before I installed the head unit.

Cheers
Grant.

The other guys are right. It was only certain models in the VZ which did light up, mainly the Calais, SS and SV6 auto (due to the flappy paddle gearbox on the wheel). Unfortunately the Acclaim, like yours, do not light up. If you wanted them to light up you would have to purchase the switches from one of the models that did, then get them wired up. Pain in the a*** if you ask me, but it can be done.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
from what i know only the higher models have it like HSV & berlina etc. i wanted them on my executive but i couldnt get them

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Only the 5 speed automatics (since they have the paddle shift) have the illuminated steering wheel controls in the VZ's from what ive been told.

Tnarg78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim Wagon MY06
Thanks for all the info fellas, most appreciated. It’s strange that they didn’t make them illuminate standard, however I’m sure I can live with out them doing so.