Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Stereo Sound Quality

rebecca22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The sound quality is very poor with the factory stereo in the VZ. No treble response. Has anyone just upgraded the door speakers and not the head unit with good results?

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
Yes...I have the OEM 6 CD stacker but all 4 door speakers in my VZ have been upgraded and they sound heaps better!

rebecca22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
What brand speakers did you settle on? Did they fit in without modication?

tonys vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
hi
you would probably find you have little bass too.
i had 2 front speakers put in the door and 2 put in the back door.
to help with the bass i had 1 subwoofer put in the boot with an amp to power the sub and the front speakers.
i left the same head unit that came with the car and that goes loud enough and with good quaility speakers and sub it does sound very nice
tony

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
The sound quality is very poor with the factory stereo in the VZ. No treble response. Has anyone just upgraded the door speakers and not the head unit with good results?

Hmm.. mine had a factory 6-speaker system (4 doors, plus two dash-mounted tweeters) and the treble and sound staging was quite good for a budget stock system, it was the bass handling which really let it down (and it distorted easily if turned up loud).

If you get 6" speakers they'll fit without any modification (except you'll need to remove the factory speaker plug and solder/crimp your new ones on)

6.5" may need some modification of the pod to fit.

When it comes to brand, you really need to choose for yourself because everyone has different listening preferences. If you walk into JB HiFi (or any car audio store) and listen to a few they have up on the board you should be able to find one you like - some will have more bass, some less.

Rule of thumb with JB and their cheaper speakers, is when it comes to talking price aim for about half of the sticker price. They put huge markups on these. Several times I've bought two pairs for the price of one (becomes less true of the higher end speakers, but there is still room to haggle).

Upgrading just the speakers will give you much better sound, but if you want really good sound you'll need to either put an aftermarket head unit in, or do what many of us (myself included) have done, and get a modification to your stock head unit so it's outputs a signal which can be used to run an amplifier and some high-end speakers. There is a bloke on these forums called Phreddy who makes such a mod ( https://forums.justcommodores.com.au ) should you want to take this path.

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005

Pioneers all round with 6x9s and they fit in with minor soldering (I think).

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Pioneers all round with 6x9s and they fit in with minor soldering (I think).

6x9's will fit in the parcel shelf if you punch the factory sheet metal covers out and drill some holes for the screws, but no way you'll get them in the doors. You must mean 6" for the door? - that's what the factory speakers are.

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I run pioneer splits in the front and fusion cheapies in the shelf and it produces good enough sound for what i want atm. I will be going for phreddys mod as soon as i can get my ass up that way.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI

Maybe ur speakers are on the way out.
Ive got a 6 stacker in my SV6 & the sound quality is great! On the 6 stackers there are EQ settings.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hmmmm - I dunno about "great" Paul.... :unsure:

"Adequate" maybe.... ;)