Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 adventra off road tyres

oldholdensarebest

oldholdensarebest
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 CV8Z Monaro; 2005 Adventra LX8; 1955 FJ Holde
I have Monroe GT gas struts up front, factory self levelling rear (LX8), raised King springs all around, and Cooper AT/3 235/60/17 tyres on standard factory alloy wheels. On road performance is excellent with a slightly firmer ride, no tyre noise, and greatly improved off-road capability. Definitely worth the investment, when parked next to a standard Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser it shows that the Adventra is pretty close as far as ground clearance is concerned. There is a stack of info on my Facebook group called Adventra and AWD Holden Group which is dedicated to all Commodore based AWD Holdens.

Yeltrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra VZ LX6
I have spent so much time on researching this and if you stick with 17" rim all you get is H/T tyres (Highway/Terrain which are 90/10) basically a road tyre.
If you go to a 7"x16" you really only have two tyre options that are A/T tyres (All Terrain which are 70/30) 30% off road.
One is the Bridgestone Dueller A/T697 and the other is Michelin Latitude Cross. Both are 235/R60x16.
To find a wheel for the Adventra was just as hard but... CSA EDGE 16x7 PCD 5/120 with a OE 48 Positive Offset is designed for the Adventra but you wont be able to fit bigger brakes.
Quote on rims from Tyre Power $220pw Tyres $220 plus each.
Looking at doing this myself.
Now can you help me with a 2" lift kit and please dont say King Springs do some heavey coils. Not for extra weight just clearance.

Yeltrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra VZ LX6
Can you give me the details of the Monroe Gt struts up front and what shocks on the back. I dont want a hard ride so are your king Springs good for every day ride. Know nothing about suspension but am after a 2" lift for clearance and to keep it legal not to tow. I went to the face book page but the info on lift is too spread out and too little detail. Look forward to your direction.

oldholdensarebest

oldholdensarebest
Reaction score
Members Ride
King Springs do a raised spring, the extra height is around 30mm, part numbers are in the pinned post at the top of the Facebook page. The Monroe GT Gas struts are available on Epay, they are a standard replacement strut for the Adventra, the rear shocks are factory standard self-levelling. The Cooper A/T tyres are 235/60/17 on factory standard alloy wheels. The changes have increased ground clearance to around the same height as a standard Nissan Patrol or Toyota Landcruiser, so somewhere around 2" combined lift has been achieved. The off-road performance is greatly improved, and the on-road performance has not been negatively affected either. The ride is a little firmer but not to the point of jolting, in fact the turn in and flatter cornering really enhance the handling and ride. The tyres are A/T which have proven themselves off-road but they don't have tyre noise on-road, which was a concern of mine. A friend has a bad back and he was concerned about how hard the ride may have been with the mods, so I took him for a ride in my Adventra, he was very happy with the ride and then he went ahead and did his suspension.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
King Springs do a raised spring, the extra height is around 30mm, part numbers are in the pinned post at the top of the Facebook page. The Monroe GT Gas struts are available on Epay, they are a standard replacement strut for the Adventra, the rear shocks are factory standard self-levelling. The Cooper A/T tyres are 235/60/17 on factory standard alloy wheels.

I have exactly the same setup but with Kumho tyres. They're good, if a bit soft.
Ride seems softer and a little bouncier than normal, even at 40 psi.

I had to hack my self-leveling suspension so that it wouldn't freak out. (I can now adjust the rear height)
Also, the ESP sometimes goes off on the front right or left wheel when doing hard cornering at high speed.

I'm interested in the dynamics of this.
Did you have any similar issues?

oldholdensarebest

oldholdensarebest
Reaction score
Members Ride
I run 34psi in the Coopers with no issues and the inherent floatiness of the Adventra has disappeared totally. I've got to say I'm impressed with their on-road performance too. The only mod to the factory self-levelling shocks was to slightly bend the switch lever, other than that they are stock and operate as they should. I've never had an alarm/alert from ESP or anything else during spirited driving, I don't drive like a nanny but when I feel like moving a little quicker I take the Monaro.

Yeltrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra VZ LX6
Off road tyres after a lift kit utilising King Spring and Monroe shocks.
Can then fit 60 profile A/T (All Terrain) 70% Highway/30% Terrain rather then less than useful 55 profile H/T (Highway Terrain) 90%/10%.
Bridgestone Dueler ATD697 235/R60x17
Toyo 102H 235/R60x17
Coopers AT3
Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure
But you also could go down to a 16" rim with no lift kit.
Your car belly wont be higher so may drag sometimes but you can fit 60 profile AT tyres.
10mm larger in diameter so wont rub.
Only 2 I found
Bridgestone A/TD697 235/R60x16
Michelin Latitude Cross
But you will need 16" wheels with the right offset 48 Pos or 45 Pos
CSA EDGE 16X7 PCD 5/120 OE 48 POS

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
You're probably better going 225 width wise regardless of profile, to avoid scrubbing and allow mud clearance

and a '5' in profiled equals an inch, so if you went 225/60-17 you'd go 225/65-16

oldholdensarebest

oldholdensarebest
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a good point, I have had mine through mud but not that real sticky clay that comes away in big clumps, that could be a problem as you have indicated. In sand and all other surfaces 235 should be fine, I had mine using full suspension travel (compressed and extended) recently, I was expecting the odd rub here and there but it was completely fine.