Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 blue smoke on start up

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
Hi

Can you please help me out? I've got a VZ SV6 Commodore and on start up it produces blue smoke from the exhaust. It doesn't do it all the time, only when it hasn't been driven for a few days.

I've taken it to the agents but they couldn't diagnose the problem since it wasn't doing it when it was with them (I left it with them for an entire week).

Any suggestions? The vehicle is still under warranty.

Thank you

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
blue smoke usually means your burning oil

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
Why does it only do it on start up? and wouldn't it do it all the time? Thanks

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
it may be likely that one or more of the valve stem seals are worn out....

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
it may be likely that one or more of the valve stem seals are worn out....

I agree with christina, but it sounds unusual as this problem usually arises on high mileage engines and your engine should still be relatively new.
Try asking 'Dr Bob' in the pub section under the heading 'ask the holden technician,as he is pretty good and might have a better answer.

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
i have just done 60,000km. If its the valve stem seals wouldn't it do it all the time and the agent should have picked that up? would it show up if they put it on a scanner?

i'm going to take it back to the agent this week, is there anything that i can ask for to confirm that the stem seals are worn? thanks

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I agree with christina, but it sounds unusual as this problem usually arises on high mileage engines and your engine should still be relatively new.

I have seen a few cars in the past less than 2 years old blowing smoke because of worn rings due to owners thrashing the crap out of their little 4 cylinders.

Could be a fault or anything. Should get it fixed under warranty. It's an easy job to fix if it is the stem seals and it definately seems like it's at fault.

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Have you owned the car from new?? Might have been a dealer thrash-mobile or driven badly.

But yes you should take it to your dealer although they will prolly want you to leave it there so they can start it cold and see for themselves.

kiwi nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz sv6
i've had the car since last year. the plan is to leave it with the dealer next week again maybe this time it might play up.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If it's the stem seals at fault, it would happen at every cold start.