Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 differences?

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Hey guys, I am in the process of selling my car and buying a VZ SV6 (2004 - 2006).

Has anyone got any advice on what to get, what not to get?

My main reason is I am looking at an auto, with the 190kw engine. If I am going to get the "sports" model, I dont want the lower 175 engine when there is a 190 available. (Is there really much difference between both engines?)

I read somewhere recently that there is a visual difference between the 175 and 190 Allotech's? Does the 190 have the silver manifold and the 175 have the black one?

Was it in 2005, where these swapped over?

Thanks guys in advance for your help, I just want to make sure what I am looking at when buying a car, and don't get jibbed.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
basicly you want a feb 05 or later, they came standard with lsd and side airbags, 04 sv6's didnt.
all sv6's are 190kw, and it doesnt matter about the manifold colour, but the newer ones have the silver mainfold, but there is no diffrence between silver and black sv6 manifolds.

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Cheers for that mate, appreciated.

Will try and go for a silver one :thumbsup:

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
^^agreed on all bar one point. the factory lsd's only came out on sv6's with the silver manifold.

i should know i have a may 05 and i have a black manifold and it was an option, same with side airbags.

me personally i would be going for an 06 because then you would still have factory warranty and if your budget can stretch you could possibly get into a ve.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
^^agreed on all bar one point. the factory lsd's only came out on sv6's with the silver manifold.

i should know i have a may 05 and i have a black manifold and it was an option, same with side airbags.

me personally i would be going for an 06 because then you would still have factory warranty and if your budget can stretch you could possibly get into a ve.

ha, well i should know, i have a mid 05, with black manifold and side airbags and lsd, with the original purchase form with the only option been tint, weather shield, tow bar, floor mats, bonnet/headlight protectors

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
strange cos mine had option on it. might look into that.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
try and get one of the silver topped motors as these had the adjusted cam gears to stop the chain noise that occured in some of the early hioutput motors.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I have a silver 190 engine, which came with the LSD :w00t: and side airbags as part of the 2005 update (September 2005 build).

While both engines have 190 kw, the black engines have slightly more torque. Changes were made (possibly the intake manifold) to comply with Euro 4 emissions. As a consequence, silver 190 engines will be slightly greener but also will have slightly less torque.

Mind you its only a small change and I still think you should get a 2005 update SV6, purely for the standard kit.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
I was wondering about the LSD and the year of the build... was not sure about mine until I planted a twin strip to make sure hehe. April 05'.
And if you have a lookie here you'll see the black manifold. But yeah Pretty sure what Bullitsv6 said about the silver in the later models is correct, slightly less torque, though I doubt there would be a hell of a difference if you lined em up on a 1/4 mile...

Last edited: