Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] VZ SV6 - exhaust rear pipe

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6, Vs s2 manual, Vy ss manual
Hi everyone,
Before all the '6 will never sound like an 8', 'dumbass p-plater' etc etc..

I know with the catback centre and rear pipes you should run a 2.5" pipe at largest due to the back pressure,

Wondering if it's possible to run a REAR PIPE of the catback with a 3" straight pipe (all joined onto 2.5" centre x pipe with mufflers to dual high flow cats etc into headers..) without losing too much overall power.

Car- VZ SV6 (190kw) 3.6L alloytec

Thanks
J

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Use a single 2 1/2 rear section with a resonator. Without a resonator, a v6 commodore will always sound pretty shocking and obnoxious.

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't mind it being obnoxious since in everyone else's eyes we are already labeled as a ########.. Just the look on the old peoples faces **** me up the wall. Government brainwashed to live in society a certain way. So I say to them f ya if you don't like it.

I have it currently on a 2.5" rear pipe with a resonator. Was thinking 2.5" or 3" rear pipe without the resonator

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Don't do it. It will sound like ****. Mine had no rear muffler when I bought it, droned like a motherfkr and sounded just generally bloody horrible. But if that's what you want I guess then go for it.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I don't mind it being obnoxious since in everyone else's eyes we are already labeled as a ########.. Just the look on the old peoples faces **** me up the wall. Government brainwashed to live in society a certain way. So I say to them f ya if you don't like it.

I have it currently on a 2.5" rear pipe with a resonator. Was thinking 2.5" or 3" rear pipe without the resonator

Stick with a 2.5", WITH resonators/mufflers.

It's not about being obnoxious because everyone thinks you are (Which you are if you give in). It's because without them, the sound waves will cause a resonance within the cabin, making it a horrible place to be. I've been in the back seat of a vehicle that droned so bad, i felt physically ill. Seriously.

NAAF actually makes a catback system almost exactly to the original one you described! So I would personally get one off him :)

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had a fairly droney vx where my interior parts would vibrate a fair bit. Loved every second of it (had it for two years).
Thanks fellas for the replies, I appreciate it!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Don't do it. It will sound like ****. Mine had no rear muffler when I bought it, droned like a motherfkr and sounded just generally bloody horrible. But if that's what you want I guess then go for it.

When I had a Ecotec ,I put on a 2.5 inch cat back and headers , at idle nice and burbly , and throttle , not so much , I'm resisting the urge to upgrade the zorst opn the SV6, but might go for some dual tips for the looks only .

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman

Don't be part of the reason that p platers have a bad reputation. It ruins it for the rest of us that tastefully modify cars by making the media, and the public generalise that all 'car guys' are inconsiderate and selfish.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
When I had a Ecotec ,I put on a 2.5 inch cat back and headers , at idle nice and burbly , and throttle , not so much , I'm resisting the urge to upgrade the zorst opn the SV6, but might go for some dual tips for the looks only .
These days I have the stock system with a resonator where the rear muffler would be. Not too loud but has a little bit of a note to it, so sounds ok.

bob builder

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
when i was 17 i thought a straight 6 with a twin system sounded good, emu export tasted awesome and oysters were shite.
I have since changed my opinion on the above.
cant put an old head on young shoulders,everyone has a turn at that if you live long enough.

its simple,
you either want the noise more than the power (3" cat back)
or the power more than the noise (less than 3")