Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 or VY S?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I agree stick with your Lumina, even for a VY you aren't likely to find a well looked after one for that sort of price. Just spend a little and get your Lumina running well and looking clean. Then get a nice toy when you're off your P's and have more money.

smitroast

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 commodore
honestly man it depends on what ypu are looking at getting it for even though the ecotec engine is all there at the start the alloytec doesnt take that long to get to speed I raced an auto vx in my 6 speed sv6 and honeslty there is no comparison in power by the time I reached the top end of 2nd I was atleast three car lenthgs apart. the fuel economy is not great arpund town but on the highway it will go thousands of k's also the engine os relitivly easy to service yourself the sump plug is right at the front you basically dont even need to jack your car ive never driven a vy but I have driven an ecotec id much rather an alloytec

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
5 grand? Why not get 1 model down, that way you can afford a great condition one with lower K's
Vx calais comes with more features than a lumina.

RizzoVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Pack s2
I was in the same boat as you. I was all for the sv6 because it was the newer motor and had 190kw lsd In some of them.
So I drove a couple sv6's and they were okay then I drove a vy and it went much better, much harder and sounded great.

I also think the vys have a better front bumper. And I was put off by that torque restricting crap.. like its nice to know your car can actually spin the wheel(s).

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
With that budget I don't think your going to find a decent VY S let alone a SV6.

Like mentioned, get yourself a VX Calais or similar.