Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz sv6 rear and knock

Jolly mondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
Hi I've recently purchased a 2005vz sv6 that had a trans oil leak but I got that fixed but now I'm getting a knocking sound in the rear end but not a constant knock I'll hear it then it' goes away, Ive noticed it happens most when I'm coming to a gradual stop or slowly parking. I'm hoping it's not my gear box but I thought ide need some advice, thanks oh yeah it's an auto.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Try changing your diff oil look at the condition off diff bush while your there ..changing diff oil is easy ..don't use cheap **** use penrite

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I had a slight knock in the rear of my wagon which I eventually traced to the valves in the pedders rear shocks.
Could mostly be heard at low speed but not on highway.

edit....Also have a read up on diff cyclic knock that some VZ's had.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I can identify with this peculiar and annoying knocking.
When I owned the VZ (Executive wagon, auto) and was moving out or moving back at low speed, there would be a repetitious and kind of alarming knock—knock—knock and a bit of side jolting from the rear of the car somewhere — you could not avoid not noticing it! Curiously, when carrying a touring load, it was much worse. It was not present when driving at street or highway speeds, just randomly with low speed turning forward or reverse. The cyclic knock of the diff mentioned above is the likely source. Penrite diff oil was put in there around 2011 and that's the last service I recall, save for cursory checks in the workshop at scheduled service intervals.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I had a slight knock in the rear of my wagon which I eventually traced to the valves in the pedders rear shocks.
Could mostly be heard at low speed but not on highway.

edit....Also have a read up on diff cyclic knock that some VZ's had.

This.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I can identify with this peculiar and annoying knocking.
When I owned the VZ (Executive wagon, auto) and was moving out or moving back at low speed, there would be a repetitious and kind of alarming knock—knock—knock and a bit of side jolting from the rear of the car somewhere — you could not avoid not noticing it! Curiously, when carrying a touring load, it was much worse. It was not present when driving at street or highway speeds, just randomly with low speed turning forward or reverse. The cyclic knock of the diff mentioned above is the likely source. Penrite diff oil was put in there around 2011 and that's the last service I recall, save for cursory checks in the workshop at scheduled service intervals.
I used the green penrite oil the mechanic gave me synthetic I think with smooth shift additives