Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz sv6 solid flywheel whine??

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Hey guys just done a clutch conversion from the old standed DMF to a SMF-exedy heavy duty kit. Everything went sweet except found it hard to get gears so figured it was air re-bled it a few times till it got better and also my grab point for the clutch is as soon as my foot lifts from the floor and I mean all the way to the floor, it feels good other then that clutch feel has stiffend up compaird to the dmf set up, so yeah it felt good so baby'd my ute around to brake the clutch in for a bout 400ks and it was still a bit hard to get gears (once it wouldn't even go in to 3rd had to pump the clutch then it went in so this time re-bled it with a bottle sucka fluid pump ( not shore of its name lol ) and after that it felt a bit better clutch point didn't change but felt a little easyer to get gears now but started to hear a slight whine coming from the flywheel I think it is coz a mate said something about thats the cross pattern on the flywheel making the noise wasn't to shore he was right but anyway, Has anyone had anything similar happen when changing flywheels? Could a flywheel bolt be loose that's why is whining coz we didn't torque them just done em heaps tight not to tight of course :) an I think we used blue thread-locka. Any info about the whine will help as I'm not to shore wat it is as its there wen I start the car and idle but I don't think it's There wen I put the clutch in? Cheers everyone and sorry for all the questions just don't think it's normal

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Did you put a new spigot bearing in when you had the chance.A loose flywheel will give a rumbling sound.Flywheel bolts SHOULD of been torqued to specs.
If the flywheel and pressure plate had a clear coating on them (to prevent rusting while in packaging) was it removed prior to install.

Danny

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to get WL
Sounds like the clutch needs adjusting hard to get gears and grab point on floor all sounds like that its like only just press clutch and try to get gears can't do it not releasing enough normally u can adjust it at the pedal the free play yes I know hydrolic still can do

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Did you put a new spigot bearing in when you had the chance.A loose flywheel will give a rumbling sound.Flywheel bolts SHOULD of been torqued to specs.
If the flywheel and pressure plate had a clear coating on them (to prevent rusting while in packaging) was it removed prior to install.
Yes spigot bearing etc was in the kit.
And yeah it had grease or wat Eva so we cleaned it with degreaser and let em fully dry.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Sounds like the clutch needs adjusting hard to get gears and grab point on floor all sounds like that its like only just press clutch and try to get gears can't do it not releasing enough normally u can adjust it at the pedal the free play yes I know hydrolic still can do

I'm pretty shore my mate tryed to adjust it already but i will have a look tomorrow. It's getting gears alot easy now since we used the bottle pump to re-bled it but after we did that i noticed it started to whine. Feels good no slipping or loss of power etc.. We changed the oil to but doubt that's the whine I used the GL-5 nulon smooth shift. (75w95w I think or could be 75w85w not at home atm to look at the bottle lol )

jake383

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 hbd vz calais
hey mate is the spigot bearing in the end of the crank or flywheel

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Behind the flywheel ( I think ) do vz's still have them since the input shaft doesn't exceed the flywheel?

jake383

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 hbd vz calais
from what i can see the alloy tech does not use one there is no where for it to run on the imput shaft. i was just asking as you have replaced your clutch cheers

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
My bad was just the realease bearing and slave cylinder that came in the kit

Last edited:

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Well guys thought I'd give u a update, the whine is still present and HAS NOT changed a bit so would I be right in saying that solid flywheels will whine in pretty much every car? I went to a brake & clutch place around my way witch told me its the main seal in the gearbox! I highly doubt that now since he NEVA even heard my car plus I've given it a bit of hell ie big stand still burnouts in second, drifting everywhere lol etc etc... And it HAS NOT changed! So I'm a bit confused now weather it's a bearing or not so going to sus things out soon and see wats going on in there. cheers guys :)

Last edited: