Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Stereo install help please

walkintheseshoes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz sv6
Hi guys, Need some help with installing a pionner DEH-p8650mp headunit. I have read the thread with wiring colors, but it states Antenna up (white) and antenna (down)? On my headunit it says one wire (blue/white) for system control to amp which i'll be using and also auto antenna which i'll also be using. My question is which wire do i use from my commodore or do i connect both?? Also how do i connect my antenna to my antenna jack on my headunit,which wire is it? is there a plug i can buy? Also if i get an iso plug adapter insted of cutting the plug which one should i be getting, is there just a universal iso adapter? The guy at auto barn was tring to sell me a kenwood iso plug to kenwood headunit plug and said just to cut the connection off where it would plug into a kenwood headunit and just use the wires.
Any help on this matter would be great?
Thanks guys.
:thumbsup:

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have just done an install in my VX. Found all the info by searching this forum - there is some really helpful and very detailed info already posted.

Your new HU will only have one aerial wire - when the radio goes on, the aerial goes up, radio off, aerial down. You will lose control over height (though this can be reclaimed by adding a seperat switch). Your commodore will have 3 wires involved in aerial function - you need connect just the one.

I am assuming your pioneer unit is new and came with it's own plug to bare wires. What you need to get is a holden adaptor to bare wire (or a holden to iso and cut off the iso bit which is what I did) mine looked like this $14 at supercheap
adaptor.jpg
each of the wires is labelled. Using the instructions from the new stereo, match the wires from the stereo to the new adaptor. This can be done on the kitchen table (if the missus is not around) so keep the wires the same length, keep it tidy, a drop of solder on each connection is good, but not necessary. Heat shrink is then ideal to insulate each of the joins. On completion, a couple of small zip ties to keep your new harness intact.

You now just remove your old stereo and the new one will simply plug in. Too easy! One other thing, you may need an adaptor for the aerial plug.

That's got the basic wiring covered. Removing your stock unit and attaching the new one is something else. Again, search and you'll find all the answers.

Here's my finished install - ignore the date on the deck, I haven't set the time yet.

alpineclosed.jpg

I quite like the Alpine drawer - it holds the USB media below the deck with the USB cable fed through from the back of the deck. The drawer is a more expensive option than the standard pocket, but at $99 it is very solid and well built.

alpineopen.jpg

=SKB=

Reaction score
^ How do you rate the 9886 so far? I'm thinking of updating to it or the Pioneer 6050UB.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
^ How do you rate the 9886 so far? I'm thinking of updating to it or the Pioneer 6050UB.

Loving it. Sound is very nice - currently running stock speakers, but even so. Such a huge improvement on the stock (VX Calais) unit. I was surprised to not get the light colour choices available in the lower models (9884 / 9882). I only say this because the sales guy said it had the feature - he just couldn't remember how to change them. Fortunately not a feature I was looking for.

3 x 4v preouts - and full subwoofer control - looking forward to getting that happening, but as it sits, very nice sound, nice looks, and all the features are there. I would advocate for the Alpine purely because pioneer doesn't have a matching drawer ;-)

One thing I know of that the pioneer has going for it - to switch off illumination on the alpine, you need to press a button, select 'blackout' press again, select 'yes' then press again. On the pioneer there is a dedicated button to press and hold for 2secs - done. Not a big deal, but a feature I would use if it was easier.

All that aside, both are comparable units, either will do your tunes, and your car justice :thumbsup:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
looks good dude, that alpine tray is a really nice finishing touch

=SKB=

Reaction score
Loving it. Sound is very nice - currently running stock speakers, but even so. Such a huge improvement on the stock (VX Calais) unit. I was surprised to not get the light colour choices available in the lower models (9884 / 9882). I only say this because the sales guy said it had the feature - he just couldn't remember how to change them. Fortunately not a feature I was looking for.

3 x 4v preouts - and full subwoofer control - looking forward to getting that happening, but as it sits, very nice sound, nice looks, and all the features are there. I would advocate for the Alpine purely because pioneer doesn't have a matching drawer ;-)

One thing I know of that the pioneer has going for it - to switch off illumination on the alpine, you need to press a button, select 'blackout' press again, select 'yes' then press again. On the pioneer there is a dedicated button to press and hold for 2secs - done. Not a big deal, but a feature I would use if it was easier.

All that aside, both are comparable units, either will do your tunes, and your car justice :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup: