Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz Sv6- tune and mace cai

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6, Vs s2 manual, Vy ss manual
Getting a whole exhaust setup bolted on..
Been told the engine light code will come up and the car has to be tuned to remove it..
Is there any other ways to fix the code?
If having to go with the tune.. is it worth getting a cold air intake (mace cai w/ pod filter) fitted to go along with the whole exhaust setup?

Thanks
J

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Changing cats will most probably throw one.
Extractors only might not, it depends if you move the O2 sensors and if the extractors coating pollute the sensors (my pacemakers + standard cats didn't throw any code, well, at least not yet, after 1K).

If the code is because of the O2 sensors being polluted, cleaning or changing them will probably clear the code.
If this is because they were moved or get out of range readings because of the cats, you will need a tune.

Catback only won't do any harm.

It's usually a good idea to get a CAI along with the exhaust. What's the point of scavenging more if you don't provide more intake air? ;-) + the you won't need the tune to be adapted if you were to fit one later.

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is there any harm driving around with the engine code.. If I was to take a week to get it tuned??

Does it change the computer readings and adjust my fuel or anything like that

Thanks..

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Indeed, it will probably run too rich because the O2 sensors can't really send the correct values to the computer, which can't adjust the AFR accordingly, but it won't do any harm to the engine.

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Indeed, it will probably run too rich because the O2 sensors can't really send the correct values to the computer, which can't adjust the AFR accordingly, but it won't do any harm to the engine.

How much more fuel would it be running through at L/100km?

forriesv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 M6
If your just fitting a cat-back you will be fine, if your changing cats/headers as well, you will more than likely need a tune. In which case do the intake at the same time to get a more noticeable gain in performance/efficiency.

I think the alloytec's have 2 sets of O2 sensors. (The VE does, I'm not sure about the VZ, anyone here know?)

2 sensors before the cats give feedback to the ECM, influencing your fuel trims (LTFT/STFT), and 2 after the cats, which give feedback that the cats are functioning correctly. These will be the ones I'm picking that will throw a code if the cats are changed.
This could be due to a different catalyst used, or flow characteristic through the new cat.

When they tune these engines I think they just turn the second set off.

If you do change the cats just be certain the fault (if any) is standing on the second set of sensors and not the first. If you know someone with a DTC reader they can tell you what the code is.

If it's in relation to the first set and it's running rich, you risk damaging the cats (new or old).

Any excess fuel consumption will be attributed to the mods and an addiction to the new sound and performance, and will be strongly influenced by the depth of your pockets

Enjoy,
FSV6

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Put on a mace cai, and full xforce exhaust.. Didn't get a engine code!!
Been driving around and my fuels been at 17L/100km.. Not sure if more fuel being sent by computer or I've just been driving hard

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I hope I'm not stating the obvious , but did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery ?? , that might help the computer to re-learn the fuel - air mix and new exhaust .

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
I hope I'm not stating the obvious , but did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery ?? , that might help the computer to re-learn the fuel - air mix and new exhaust .

Hmm.. may have been too keen to go driving , will do it today cheers

My mate didn't say anything bout that when he hooked it up for me